Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snapped Steeda Sport Spring

Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 PM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Default Snapped Steeda Sport Spring

I figured this warranted its own thread, since apparently snapped springs aren't so common.

Here's the original thread

If you were too lazy to click the link, here's what happened:

I parked in the grass for a Greek Week event (I'm in a fraternity) on Friday. When I parked, I wasn't going though the grass at any speed whatsoever (feathering the clutch, and I parked probably three feet off the pavement). There weren't any bumps and I didn't bottom out. I swear I have absolutely no idea how it happened, but when I got in the car and started to move, I heard a really loud popping/grinding noise. I thought my front bumper was caught on something so I got out and looked, but I was in the clear. I drove home and the noise wouldn't go away. I got out of my car and now that I was on level pavement I could see the problem...my left front fender was sitting pretty much on the wheel itself.

Name:  VV1cVK1.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  22.8 KB

I figured it was a busted shock, and I didn't want to drive it. I ended up calling a tow company and having it towed to the body shop. We get it off the wrecker and I leave it at the shop (a brother's dad owned the shop). They let me know that they would call me when they got it on the lift and got it checked out.

About an hour later, I get a call and the guy told me that our original prediction of a busted shock was incorrect...I had busted a spring. I couldn't believe it. He told me that it wasn't a crack, it was a clean break, all the way through.

Passenger's side spring (with Steeda/Steeda part # visible):
Name:  ZbV6UIw.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  458.5 KB

Now for the carnage...
Name:  dul2TXf.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  679.8 KB

Name:  Qye6Y4Q.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  501.3 KB

Name:  tVuqwSR.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  471.7 KB

I just want to clarify that I'm not trying to throw Steeda under the bus in any way. I love their products. I just want get this out there because this is potentially a very, very dangerous thing. I don't know what would have happened if this had occurred while I had been going down the interstate at eighty miles an hour. I don't know if it was this spring that had bad metal or if it was an entire batch. I think I'm going to end up replacing all four of my springs just to be safe. The previous owner had them put on, but the car only has 71,000 miles on it, so it's not like fatigue should have taken hold. I've never taken it to the track, so it's not like that would be the reason. I avoid every pothole on the highway if possible, and I take speedbumps at literally 2 miles an hour. I don't have any idea what caused this.

So yeah, surprising day.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Huh very odd, not something you see everyday. They were installed correctly by the previous owner I assume?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:45 PM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
Huh very odd, not something you see everyday. They were installed correctly by the previous owner I assume?
I'm assuming so, as I've never had any issue or warning that there was a problem.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:13 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I would say you were lucky as to when it broke, could have caused an accident. Smart idea changing all the springs. You should email Steeda, maybe they will give you deal on some new ones.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:16 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

That's weird. Look at the bright side, you made it home safe despite the damage there.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:13 AM
rebus
1st Gear Member

Buy a lotto ticket! Steeda Sports are made by two suppliers. Judging by the 016 # on your spring, I'm assuming your sports are the 555-8216 springs. I have the 555-8215 version of the sports, and as far as I know, they are made by Hyperco. I believe, but could be wrong that Steeda 8216's are made by Eibach to Steeda specs. Both makers build high quality springs so I don't think Steeda is responsible for a spring failure. Springs can fail for many reasons, so it makes sense to determine the actual cause of the failure before throwing stones. BTW you mentioned you drove it off road when you drove on the grass, warranty void! (just kidding).
Old 04-30-2013, 07:18 AM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

Something looks off to me. Is there is a rough end and a chunk missing where the end of the spring should be as well as the break on the first coil? Does the lower break look old and dirty compared to the new one?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

damn i have sports, im scared now.. if this happened at 100+ mph... could be a total disaster. What dampers do you have? They look stock.. Wonder if the springs could be overworked somehow from weak dampers? doesnt really make sense though, the dampers should be the thing thats overworked...

Last edited by Andy13186; 04-30-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:16 AM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

I am wondering if the spring wasn't installed correctly, it looks like it may have been installed with the end of the spring sitting up on top and not in the dropped down section. If that was the case then it could put a lot of stress on the spring to bend to compensate for the change in angle having the end of the spring in the wrong position would cause. Not saying that IS what happened, but that COULD have happened.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:23 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Dang, that sucks. I don't blame Steeda but it would be really cool of them to step up and get you another set. Hope you get it worked out OP.

Originally Posted by Andy13186
damn i have sports, im scared now.. if this happened at 100+ mph... could be a total disaster. What dampers do you have? They look stock.. Wonder if the springs could be overworked somehow from weak dampers? doesnt really make sense though, the dampers should be the thing thats overworked...
One part failing does not make a trend, these things happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snapped Steeda Sport Spring