Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Tuners Help

Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 PM
DG_
1st Gear Member

Default Tuners Help

Just did a datalog on my car and it shows the ecu is pulling A LOT of knock; see attachments.

Could this be just bad gas (always fill up 93 at exxon or shell) or could something else be causing this problem.
I'm currently running o/r x pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Tuners Help-untitled-1.jpg   Tuners Help-untitled-2.jpg   Tuners Help-untitled-3.jpg  
Old 06-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Are you running a tune on the car? If so, I would data log a lot and then send them to your tuner.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:58 AM
DG_
1st Gear Member

Stock tune at the moment.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:29 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Why the heck are you running an off road x-pipe and no tune?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

THIS is the source of your problem. It's required to run a tune if you delete the cats.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:14 PM
DG_
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
Why the heck are you running an off road x-pipe and no tune?
Originally Posted by Ditty
THIS is the source of your problem. It's required to run a tune if you delete the cats.
TBH I thought the same thing, but the tuners at BAMA assured me it's ok to drive without a tune. Basically saying that it'll run just a bit richer and the cat cells would come on.

That was a month or so ago. I now was planning on getting a tune from another tuner, but once I showed him the datalog, he said that either I'm running bad gas or there might be another issue going on and that he can't tune it while this is going on.

I figured I would post here, seeing if anyone else has any insight of what might be causing this issue.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

W/ out the cats, the car thinks that there is something wrong. You HAVE to have a tune to turn the down stream O2 sensors off if you are running cat-less. I doubt someone at Bama or AM told you that you can run w/out cats and w/out a tune. (not saying you're lying) Bama offers a catless tune for this reason. I'm surprised you don't have a CEL running cat-less.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

I would like a little more elaboration on this. I am running the smoothest performance tune right now I have ever driven. This thing drives smoother than the other two 5.0s I have driven, one tuned and one stock. The only thing is that bama forgot to turn off the rear O2 sensors so occasional it will throw a code every couple days and I jus clear it. Now I am emailing them as I type this to have it turned off, but HOW can just a couple of sensors inhibit anything with the motor. Now if they were the wideband front one, I could see that, but not the rears???

Thanks as always!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

All four of the O2s are wideband. I had a failed O2 on my DS downstream and it would cough and sputter until I replaced it.

With both upstream and downstream O2's on and NO cats, they are reading the exact same thing, so the ECU thinks that the Cats are bad and tosses the CEL and puts the car into a sort of 'limp mode'. The up and down stream O2's are not supposed to read the same thing, if they did (on an unmodified car) it would mean that the cats have failed.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
All four of the O2s are wideband. I had a failed O2 on my DS downstream and it would cough and sputter until I replaced it.

With both upstream and downstream O2's on and NO cats, they are reading the exact same thing, so the ECU thinks that the Cats are bad and tosses the CEL and puts the car into a sort of 'limp mode'. The up and down stream O2's are not supposed to read the same thing, if they did (on an unmodified car) it would mean that the cats have failed.
Mine still rips super hard after it throws the codes lol.... Nothing changes lol. Maybe bugged?.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuners Help