General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Axle pulls out gets stuck on the bearing?

Old 11-03-2013, 03:40 PM
DenBurt

Default Axle pulls out gets stuck on the bearing?

Removed the brakes disc etc. Rear end cover and such the C clip came out no problem. Drivers side I had no incidents, yet the passengers side only pulls out to a certain degree then hangs. I can see and feel that the bearing is shot when I push and pull on it I can hear it banging on the bearing I pull fairly hard and turn I can feel the bearing as though it is grinding, pull a little harder and the bearing stops moving. Tapping, pulling, turning, banging prying (trying to) all yield no results any ideas suggestions? Am I missing something...
Old 11-03-2013, 04:43 PM
slipperman
1st Gear Member

How much travel are you getting? Is it hanging on the carrier bearing or does movement stop once you get the end of the axle out to the wheel bearing?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:24 PM
DenBurt

Originally Posted by slipperman
How much travel are you getting? Is it hanging on the carrier bearing or does movement stop once you get the end of the axle out to the wheel bearing?
Drn axle only moves about an inch but I can assure you it is hanging on the axle bearing. After looking and looking I just found an article on here that makes it sound like a common problem although I didn't find anything on Google.

I also didn't know that there is an Axle puller or that I would need one. I have a slide hammer and I am trying to think of a way I can use that or attach it. I know I have some chain here somewhere also... This could get interesting... BTW I tried loosely bolting the tire on and yanking but it looks like it time to go caveman on it.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:12 PM
DenBurt

I just reread my previous post and realized I did not say thank you to Slipperman for responding and helping me to clarify my situation.

The axle will slide out far enough for me to see the area where the axle bearing rides and a little further so I can see that the axle bearing hasn't rubbed any ridges or grooves into the axle. When the axle is pulled out as far as I can get it, to the point that it will almost not turn from the pressure I look into the differential and I can still move the axle around on that side to some extent. I hooked up a chain to it with a slide hammer to no avail yet I need a better way to stabilize my concoction and I will be looking for an axle puller that might help... I have read there is a such thing for some vehicles...
Old 11-05-2013, 03:40 PM
slipperman
1st Gear Member

Too weird.
Maybe you can get to it from the other side where the axle did come out. The axle has a center drill point on it, so you could perhaps fashion a bar with a center "bump" on it to locate on the adjacent axle.
Smack it with a hammer to extract.
Also, just to be sure, check the axle around the groove where the C clip was to be sure there's no burr raised causing it to hang up.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:29 PM
DenBurt

Rented an axle puller and snatched it right out along with parts of the axle bearing, it appears as if there was a small groove in the axle and the axle bearing was hanging on that. Definitely looks like a factory defect.

I just grabbed the bearing puller out of the box and found it is broken so another trip to the store and hopefully I can get this wrapped up.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:39 PM
slipperman
1st Gear Member

Nice!
You needed to replace that bearing anyways, so no harm.
For me, it's not unusual to find myself in similar situations. It should come right apart, but Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_errr r:
Old 11-05-2013, 05:41 PM
DenBurt

Originally Posted by slipperman
Too weird.
Maybe you can get to it from the other side where the axle did come out. The axle has a center drill point on it, so you could perhaps fashion a bar with a center "bump" on it to locate on the adjacent axle.
Smack it with a hammer to extract.
Also, just to be sure, check the axle around the groove where the C clip was to be sure there's no burr raised causing it to hang up.
I know I refreshed the page before I posted and didn't see your most recent post Slipperman, sorry. Kinda how things are going for me lately lol.

Thank you for that suggestion after yanking around on it for a while I looked that c clip end of the axle over pretty darn good just to be sure it wasn't some kind of a bur or something as you suggested.

I did think about that bar idea but I didn't have anything handy and would have had to go buy something or try to find a trash pile somewhere. After trying my brilliant chain idea I just figured it would be easier to rent the axle puller and give that a go. I did get it out but there was some serious hammering I had to do... I was very determined, you should have seen the bearing explode into pieces when that thing finally came loose.

Thanks again for your help Slipperman now on to getting the rest of that bearing out...