Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

'66 200ci, looking to get an exhaust system.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:08 PM
magiusavvail
1st Gear Member

Default '66 200ci, looking to get an exhaust system.

I would have thought I'd see a bunch of these to some extent, but didn't bring up much when using the search feature.

I'm looking to get an exhaust kit or throw one together for my '66. It has a 200ci that's been rebuilt and bored over a little bit. It still has the same exhaust system from the factory, but she sounds like she's giving 'raspberries' every time I hit the gas. I really want to get something better sounding that will help with performance a bit.

Here's what I want:
Performance boost.
Something that might prepare me for a header later down the line.
Something not overly loud, but still sounds beefy with little to no droning.
A kit that, preferably, doesn't require welding.
If possible, a kit that also nixes the catalytic converter as mine's probably useless.

What I don't want:
Flowmasters. Never been a fan. I know that much, at least.

I know very little about these things, I'm learning as I go. I don't want to grab a random exhaust kit and be disappointed, especially with my finances. Haha.
Also, do the sizes in pipes matter?

Any opinions and tips would be appreciated.
Feel free to ask any questions if I might have missed some vital or helpful information.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:09 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Might try listening to some Jeep 4.0 sound clips. Magnaflow systems have sounded pretty good on those setups IMO. Best thing would be to get a custom system setup, mid muffler, that allows you to clamp on various mufflers so you can try it out. If you don't like it, sell the muffler and go onto your next choice. I'd stay with a single 2" pipe. Probably cost you around 300 from the manifold back for an initial setup (in aluminized steel), then 50-150 per muffler.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:40 PM
scott_m_mil
2nd Gear Member

1) You have no catalytic converter. Unless some re-re put one on.

2) For a decent exhaust tone you almost must have a header on a 200. Its the only way to eliminate a lot of the droning.

3) If you want tone out of a litty bitty motor get the smallest muffler you can.

I have a hooker dual outlet header running into a magnaflow dual in dual out muffler. I bought the smallest dual out dual in with the smallest pipe diameter possible. Even then I ran 2" into a 2 1/4" muffler. That engine won't fill 2 1/2" pipe or two mufflers. This setup does have a little bit of drone at low rpms when trying to gently accelerate, but I'm currently dumping the muffler under the car and believe it is echoing in the trunk a lot. The car does have a very aggressive tone, but never gets LOUD. I run out of engine before I can really start to build exhaust volume.

Scott
Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by magiusavvail
It still has the same exhaust system from the factory, but she sounds like she's giving 'raspberries' every time I hit the gas. I really want to get something better sounding that will help with performance a bit.
You sure it's the factory type? They were smooth and quiet even at full throttle.

The best I have seen was a 66 200 with dual headers and 2" GT dual exhaust. The connecting pipes between the headers and system require the services of a muffler shop, but no big deal. Sounds like a V8.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:15 PM
magiusavvail
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the posts, guys!
I kind of figured it wouldn't sound amazing without a header, but I'm sure it would still sound infinitely better than the current setup.

Magnaflow was the first to come to mind. I'm gonna listen to clips from those as well as another type that I can't remember at the moment.

And I believe it's original. Eveything on the car was original when I got it. If it isn't, it's still a really old muffler.

I was also looking at Classic Inline's site, and i'll definitely have to save up for the header and labor. It'll be further down the line, though.

Does anyone know any kits off the top of their head that don't require a muffler shop, though?
Old 11-04-2013, 02:08 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I would suggest just going with a stock exhaust system, unless your going to really build up the I6.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:24 PM
I-fly

My home town gave me a quote for dual exhaust from the headers back using 2.5 inch pipes, with flowmaster mufflers for $375. I'm not crazy fo flowmasters, myself, but the price is better than most kits you can buy. As far as headers go, it's a small market for the 200,so expect to pay a premium.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:27 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Just save the money for a V8 swap, there's no sense in spending money on an I-6 for performance; unless you plan to dump a ton of money into the 6 just to have a 6.

You won't really gain anything with just exhaust on a mostly stock 6.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:56 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Large exhaust pipes are not necessarily good. For a stock V8 2.5 inch duals is too large. Stay as far away from dronemaster as possible.