5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fuel Lines and Fittings

Old 06-21-2014, 04:07 PM
importsmasher
1st Gear Member

Default Fuel Lines and Fittings

I am putting an 89 5.0 into the wife's 66 Mustang. I have the factory steel lines (supply and return) on the engine, and the fuel pump I will be using (87 F150, mounts on the frame rather than in the tank) has the factory fittings on it. I have a few questions:

1. I will need to run a new fuel line from the rear of the car up to the front (I plan to use the original fuel line as the return line). How do I adapt this new line (and the return line) to use the factory style fittings, or is there something else I can use?

2 Where can I get these fittings? I will need to connect lines to the fuel pump and to the factory lines on the engine, and I plan to run a stock style fuel filter as well, which will require more of these types of connections. It looks like the original 1989 lines were a flexible plastic?

I am on a very tight budget, and I would prefer to do as much of this as I can myself, rather than buying a ready-made kit (besides, where's the fun in installing a kit when you can make up stuff yourself?). I am just looking for advice on how to connect everything together.

Thanks,
Importsmasher
Old 06-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

1 - Your factory sending unit isn't setup for a return style system so its your choice of what fittings you'd like to use for your new line as you'll need to modify your sending unit for the extra line (I don't know the '66 well at all, but most carbed cars only have a fuel outlet). I would personally use the stock fuel supply location on the sending unit for the supply line (since it has a proper pick up in the tank for suction) and install whatever fitting you desire for the return line.

2 - The first thing that comes to mind is a combination of high pressure rubber fuel hose and junk yard sourced connectors. Its a junkyard build so that's where ya gotta go! I don't mean that as an insult or anything. I've done plenty of that type of thing myself and consider it the heart of "true" hot rodding back when you couldn't do it any other way. My second thought it scouring the Dorman fuel line repair kit at your local parts store.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/docume...uyersGuide.pdf
Old 06-22-2014, 10:58 AM
importsmasher
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought of going to the junkyard (which is odd, because this really is a junkyard, low buck build) for the fuel lines/parts.

As for the supply/return line, I do plan to use the factory suction line from the tank as the supply line for the new pump. I will be installing a new line into the tank to serve as the return line. What I meant was, I will be using the factory steel line that runs from the tank to the engine compartment as the return line, and running a new line up the passenger side of the car as a supply line.

Thanks,
Importsmasher
Old 06-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Cool! Good luck with the build! I'm personally a big fan of low money junk yard projects. It shows that anyone can participate in the hobby if they are creative enough and dedicate the time.

Now to pull it off with all factory parts and make it look stock! You may do yourself a favor and write down the assorted part #s you use for this or that so you remember 10 years later. One of my cars has Dodge Dakota parts, GM G body parts, Ford parts, etc...