Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my engine ruined?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:01 AM
NathanE

Default Is my engine ruined?

My check engine light started flashing while I was driving, and instantly there was no power when pushing down on the gas pedal. Pulled over and had my car towed.

I checked the oil and there was basically nothing left, then put 5L of oil in.

Started it again hoping everything was alright, and the car did run but the engine light was still flashing and the car was intermittently "shaking" (is the best way i can describe it).

A friend told me my engine is likely #%^*ed.. Would love to hear some of your opinions.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:45 AM
calistang05
2nd Gear Member

Was the oil leaking were did it go did you check under the car or was it in the engine bay, if the oil was bone dry it had to go some where. Unless you haven't changed the oil for a hole year or more which would cause you to blow your engine from driving with no oil.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:23 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Basically nothing I hope means you had something showing on the stick. The reason it shutdown like that was to protect the engine from damage while allowing you to limp it home. By pulling over and getting it towed you gave yourself the best chance not to kill it if something was about to let go. I would think as long as there was some oil in there you've got a fighting chance that the issue is not catastrophic. If it took 5 liters and was not way overfull then I would not feel too good about it.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:35 AM
NathanE

It may have been 8-12 months / ~40,000k without an oil change
Old 07-18-2013, 03:15 AM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

you went 40,000 km between oil changes?
Old 07-18-2013, 03:52 AM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NathanE
It may have been 8-12 months / ~40,000k without an oil change
Old 07-18-2013, 04:17 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

......what the **** dude, really.....
im not a mechanic/scientist or anything but you might as well look for a new engine......and change the damn oil!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:58 AM
zmanm3

Don't listen to these guys, oil changes are just a gimmick that big oil and car companies use to get you to spend more money. Engines don't even need oil anymore because most engine builders coat all the parts in Teflon.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:04 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by zmanm3
Don't listen to these guys, oil changes are just a gimmick that big oil and car companies use to get you to spend more money. Engines don't even need oil anymore because most engine builders coat all the parts in Teflon.
You forgot the [/sarcasm on] and [/sarcasm off/] for that comment!

And that is a long time between oil changes OP. While you don't have to change it every 3,000 miles (4828 KM) like the oil change places would like, you do need to change it more often than 24,854 miles!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:29 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Is this some sort of joke? In this day and age do people really not know that you must change the oil in your vehicle. I know that the 4.6L motors are "indestructible"... but like anything, you must take care of it! Its truly a miracle that you were able to get the motor started after pouring in more oil. I've seen engines shut down due to owner malfunction and they never started back-up again.

Buy a new engine because yours is trashed. Maybe better yet, buy a bicycle because you don't deserve to own a vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is my engine ruined?