Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2014 MUSTANG GT TRACK KEY -- M-14204-MGTTKA

Old 02-04-2014, 06:49 PM
rneely2111
2nd Gear Member

Default 2014 MUSTANG GT TRACK KEY -- M-14204-MGTTKA

This seems interesting....

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/category_s/271.htm
Old 02-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Steve@Tasca
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rneely2111
It hasn't been released by Ford Racing yet, I can guarantee I'll have a better price that the guys you linked to

Just a quick FYI, that is not a link to Ford Racing, they're an independent distributor just like we are.

-Steve
Old 02-05-2014, 06:52 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure but, it sounds like this flash key is for a aftermarket tune specific to that key/manufacturer or something like that?? Is that track key tune any better then any other tunes like Bama and others....IDK? The only thing that I see as beneficial is that when I'm at the track I just have to use the track key to go from an 89 tune to the 93 tune which is convenient compared to changing tunes with a SCT or Diablo. So, it all depends on how aggressive is that track key tune, is like a 93 octane BAMA tune or is it more like a very safe Steeda tune....there's not enough info in that article and most of all, what is the price....well see if this track key is any good or is it some BS gimmick? Oh, and does this aftermarket track key tune void the Ford warranty...if it doesn't void the warranty then it could be interesting?? And we all know the warranty/tune void threads so, no reason to debate that.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Steve@Tasca
Former Sponsor

It's basically the same as the flash FRPP has for the Boss, the details from the Boss tune are below and may not all apply to the GT since they haven't released any solid details yet.

Whenever the TracKey is used to start the vehicle, many engine control characteristics are changed to be more suitable for track use. These include:

Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing (TiVCT)
Engine braking
Ignition timing
Wide-Open Throttle fueling
Accelerator pedal map
Idle speed
Throttle response
Skip-shift disable (Available for 2012 Boss 302, not necessary on 2013 model)

In addition, the following features are unique to TracKey

Driver adjustable Launch Control, or "2-step engine speed limiting"
Driver adjustable Pit Lane Speed Control
Lopey idle

Warranty answer, again taken from the Boss tune link.

Name:  warranty_zps6196e7ad.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  169.4 KB

-Steve
Old 02-06-2014, 03:39 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

There is not enough info about that Key tune, lets see how many dudes buy a Boss Intake a Tune Key and think they got a Boss...LOL This Key will get interesting when shops start doing dyno pulls with this key tune....will it's performance meet or surpass a Bama 93 tune and/or will this key tune out perform a dyno tune?? Dyno's don't lie and it's probably cheaper to have a custom dyno tune with better/specific to the car results. We'll see what the dyno says???
Old 02-06-2014, 09:03 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

The track key for the Boss and for the 2014 GT, manual built after 7/1/2013 only due to electronics changes mid year, are not for more horsepower. The key tune modifies the engine dynamics for better road race performance. Like engine braking and launch control.
Go to ford racing parts and read about the Boss Key and expect the same.
Some Boss owners reported a small horsepower increase but ford racing tech told me to not expect any added power and the track key tune will override their ProCal tune if it is already installed; like my car. I will be using my car for HPDE and plan to be first in line for the track key.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Steve@Tasca
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by daredevil95
There is not enough info about that Key tune, lets see how many dudes buy a Boss Intake a Tune Key and think they got a Boss...LOL This Key will get interesting when shops start doing dyno pulls with this key tune....will it's performance meet or surpass a Bama 93 tune and/or will this key tune out perform a dyno tune?? Dyno's don't lie and it's probably cheaper to have a custom dyno tune with better/specific to the car results. We'll see what the dyno says???
As mentioned, The FRPP tune isn't intended to increase horsepower. It's intended to make the car more track friendly and responsive.

I've been selling the FRPP Boss Track Key tune for $220.00 for a couple years now and it's been very popular.

I'd expect this one to be in the same price range so it's also considerably less expensive than most aftermarket tunes.

-Steve
Old 02-07-2014, 10:21 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steve@Tasca
As mentioned, The FRPP tune isn't intended to increase horsepower. It's intended to make the car more track friendly and responsive.

I've been selling the FRPP Boss Track Key tune for $220.00 for a couple years now and it's been very popular.

I'd expect this one to be in the same price range so it's also considerably less expensive than most aftermarket tunes.

-Steve
Yea, sounds like it is for what it name states, for a track(road course), so, aftermarket tunes/dyno tunes are more for the straight line guys and makes a huge power difference which turns into quicker 1/4 mile times while the track key changes road track manners/dynamics but, not much or any power increase so, I guess something for the for the track.
$220 is the price for the key but, does this price include the Ford dealership Fee or is that a seperate charge on top of the $220?
Old 02-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Steve@Tasca
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by daredevil95
Yea, sounds like it is for what it name states, for a track(road course), so, aftermarket tunes/dyno tunes are more for the straight line guys and makes a huge power difference which turns into quicker 1/4 mile times while the track key changes road track manners/dynamics but, not much or any power increase so, I guess something for the for the track.
$220 is the price for the key but, does this price include the Ford dealership Fee or is that a seperate charge on top of the $220?
The programming is additional, it's typically charged as one hour labor but it does vary by dealership.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:31 PM
todcp
1st Gear Member

Looks like this track key is finally available.
Steve at Tasca can you pm me a price?
My car is a 2014 built after 7/1/2014 and the part number is supposed to be?

2014 MUSTANG GT TRACK KEY -- M-14204-MGTTKA

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 MUSTANG GT TRACK KEY -- M-14204-MGTTKA