Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I'll try anything.. Tune issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:35 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Slowpoek06GT
Alright alright- before everyone goes up the ladder on my previous post-- allow me to remove my foot from my forum mouth. It would appear I have a TB issue afterall. Now- maybe I can get some guidance with regard to the TB. It's a BBK 62mm that's been on for about 8-10 months.

I come across a gold-ish colored piece of machined metal that appears to match the color of the idle control. This piece is about a half inch long and cylindrical- almost looking like a piston of sorts. It was found sitting nicely on top of my radiator cover. Any thoughts on a fix, cause, etc?
Slowpoek06GT,

Could you take a picture of both the piece you found and the BBK TB? This may help us identify the piece. At the very minimum, I BBK will be able to see what's missing or broken.

Either way, I'm sure we'll be able to get this figured out!

Shane
Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Lots of custom tune issues here lately, or so it seems. Mostly on the 4.6's. Seems like no one is exempt. Bama, Brenspeed, Steeda.
Not many issues here ... sometimes we just need to do a revision or two to get it spot on.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 06-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Slowpoek06GT
1st Gear Member

This is a pic (rotated) of the right top corner of the TB and idle control (gold). You can see the idle control is hollow in this pic..

After I re-inserted the found piece, it looked normal-- in this pic..

On the left of the below pic is the piece I found on my radiator cover. After I re-inserted it into the idle control and then removed it, it pulled out (with it) the silver piece on the right. Maybe this is the issue????

Those two pieces fit together as such..

at this point, both small parts are out of the car.. I disconnected the CAI and found the TB (with engine off) spring loaded closed, which I expected. When I pushed it open, it returned to closed. I checked all electrical connections and everything looks good.. Is this the point at which I dis-assemble the (right) side of the TB and find out what the hell is up with these two random idle control pieces?? Anybody seen this?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:29 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

i believe that is the plunger to adjust the tps voltage, probably could take the motor side off and re-insert. adjust to stock voltage..

check out below video..

http://www.bbkperformance.com/produc...ttle-body.html
Old 06-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Slowpoek06GT
1st Gear Member

So here are the three parts all out of the TB.. allen bolt to allow the idle control (gold) to be backed out.

I talked to BBK and they said the three parts are pressure mounted together upon construction of the TB itself. I'm hoping they'll let me just send these three back instead of having to uninstall the entire TB. We'll see... MTF
Old 06-14-2013, 05:02 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Let me know if BBK is able to send you new components and get this straightened out. If you have any troubles, shoot me a PM!

Shane
Old 06-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lawrencecar1
the permanent fix to put the stock tb back on..
^This, as is stated over and over in this forum. With all the info about the BS people put up with using aftermarket TB's, I have no idea why people insist on installing them without the mods that make it worthwhile.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Not many issues here ... sometimes we just need to do a revision or two to get it spot on.

Best Regards,

TJ
Luckily mine is still running strong. Steeda still has my vote. Was not trying to flame any of the tuners. Without ya'll, life would suck. May be that we are just seeing the influx of more and more people running tunes. Looks like this thread was totally not tune related. Also plus 1 on what Nuke said. An aftermarket TB N/A is just asking for a problem IMHO.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:48 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Nuke
^This, as is stated over and over in this forum. With all the info about the BS people put up with using aftermarket TB's, I have no idea why people insist on installing them without the mods that make it worthwhile.
I agree with Rick. I've read many negative posts in regards to the BBK TB and other after market TB's.
Get your money back and put it towards another mod.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Slowpoek06GT
1st Gear Member

Alright- so I emailed BBK. The response I got from them is that the TB is very sensitive to voltage changes and the new tune likely changed something. Either way, the result was that I blew the idle control open at some point. I have subsequently re-installed the OE TB and retuned.

Coincidentally, while removing the BBK TB, I look down and see the spring for the idle control sitting atop the pan below the radiator-- so it came apart while under power and I eventually found all the parts-- what are the chances!?

As much as I hear about aftermarket TBs causing problems, do they not provide ANY performance gain?

Quick Reply: I'll try anything.. Tune issues.