Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by 11gt
The only reason I quoted your post is that you seemed to mention that an axle back could interfere with emissions equipment.

For your post, both Borla and Magnaflow mention that they meet the SAE test. While I am sure the police are not required to carry a decibel meter, you can bet that if I lived in CA, I would carry the results of such a test on my vehicle in order to prevent harassment.
No worries. What I wrote and meant was, in a state like California that has noise regulations and its own emissions regulations, you'd have to be pretty dumb to run a loud exhaust because that combination of laws heightens LEOs' awareness for loud exhaust. They equate loud exhaust with modified illegal emissions.

Instead of thinking. "That kid's got a loud exhaust on his good looking Mustang" and debating whether or not to pull you over, they think, "He's got a modified exhaust and probably took out his cats - that could be a righteous bust."

I lived in California for a very long time and talked my way out of more tickets than I can remember and I can assure you that any printed test results would get you nowhere. No cop is going to get his uniform or shoes dirty getting on the ground to look under your car. Besides, he wouldn't be able to identify a specific exhaust anyway to match up with your test results. And, the only test results he would consider looking at would be those from a California State Certified Referee Station or a sign off from a CHP Office. And, even those are dated, so who's to say you haven't put the illegal stuff back on?

He'll write the ticket because, in his opinion, your exhaust is too loud and then YOU get to spend YOUR TIME AND MONEY to get proof acceptable to the court or the California Highway Patrol that your exhaust is quieter than 95 dbA.

Let's not forget a few years ago California cracked down on illegally modded cars and found some ricers with illegal JDM non EPA/CARB engines and actually seized some cars and wound up crushing at least one.

Where I live now, cops don't care one bit about noise. I could run any kind of exhaust I want with no problem - well anything short of a Mazda rotary IMSA race car, but I'm proactive about keeping a low profile when it comes to cops.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 05-22-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:24 PM
jamesgribley
1st Gear Member

simple....if you're worried about getting pulled over for exhaust mods...don't mod your exhaust
Old 05-22-2013, 08:39 PM
11gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
No worries. What I wrote and meant was, in a state like California that has noise regulations and its own emissions regulations, you'd have to be pretty dumb to run a loud exhaust because that combination of laws heightens LEOs' awareness for loud exhaust. They equate loud exhaust with modified illegal emissions.

Instead of thinking. "That kid's got a loud exhaust on his good looking Mustang" and debating whether or not to pull you over, they think, "He's got a modified exhaust and probably took out his cats - that could be a righteous bust."

I lived in California for a very long time and talked my way out of more tickets than I can remember and I can assure you that any printed test results would get you nowhere. No cop is going to get his uniform or shoes dirty getting on the ground to look under your car. Besides, he wouldn't be able to identify a specific exhaust anyway to match up with your test results. And, the only test results he would consider looking at would be those from a California State Certified Referee Station or a sign off from a CHP Office. And, even those are dated, so who's to say you haven't put the illegal stuff back on?

He'll write the ticket because, in his opinion, your exhaust is too loud and then YOU get to spend YOUR TIME AND MONEY to get proof acceptable to the court or the California Highway Patrol that your exhaust is quieter than 95 dbA.

Let's not forget a few years ago California cracked down on illegally modded cars and found some ricers with illegal JDM non EPA/CARB engines and actually seized some cars and wound up crushing at least one.

Where I live now, cops don't care one bit about noise. I could run any kind of exhaust I want with no problem - well anything short of a Mazda rotary IMSA race car, but I'm proactive about keeping a low profile when it comes to cops.
That's crazy! I am glad I live in TN. Where I live, we don't even have emissions testing of any kind. I am thinking about either getting Borlas or the Ford Racing GT sport axle back. I have heard conflicting reports on whether or not the Roush axle backs have drone.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by jamesgribley
simple....if you're worried about getting pulled over for exhaust mods...don't mod your exhaust
Or, put a "MICHIGAN MF'ER" decal in your back window.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

roush has no drone and is quiet on the highway, it blasts though at full throttle, pretty really loud in underpasses/garages with some throttle
Old 05-23-2013, 06:17 PM
95Bluestallion
1st Gear Member

This video is why I bought a Roush A/B when I was choosing.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

You do realize an engine revving in neutral sounds nothing like an engine in gear under load, right? I don't sit in my driveway revving, do you?

Do local car shows have parked rev offs?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:52 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

It's also a lot easier to get a video of exhaust in the driveway than on the street. There's a lot more garage exhaust videos than videos of exhaust under load.

And speaking of loud axle backs, just got the Bombs on. Holy crap. I didn't think you could get that loud while keeping the stock cats. I haven't driven it yet, but am super scared of how bad the drone is going to be though. They sound great IN THE DRIVEWAY, but I'm not convinced these will be on long. I just gotta feeling.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:35 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

I don't sit in my driveway revving, do you?
Sure, I've done that. No often, but yeah.

Do local car shows have parked rev offs?
It's common for folks to make some noise as they leave. Sometimes revving, sometimes under load and doing burnouts.