5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fox roof and hood damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 03:23 PM
DaveNewman

Default Fox roof and hood damage

My 1992 coupe was vandalized a couple weeks ago. It would appear that some kids stomped on the roof and hood. I had an estimate performed at a reputable shop here in Houston and they quoted me $4,300 for labor alone. They only included labor because I was told they could not find the parts I need (new roof and hood). Do I have any recourse here? Is the junkyard my only option for parts?

I should note that I popped the roof out from inside the car upon discovering the damage. In retrospect this may not have been a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails Fox roof and hood damage-galaxy-s4-289.jpg   Fox roof and hood damage-galaxy-s4-288.jpg   Fox roof and hood damage-galaxy-s4-287.jpg   Fox roof and hood damage-galaxy-s4-286.jpg  
Old 07-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

There are reproduction hoods as well as numerous fiberglass options. The roof on the other hand is a different story. Nobody repops a skin for it so youll have to either fix the one on the car or find a donor.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:30 PM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

I would be ****ing Wild ! Good luck with it I hope you find out who did it? Did you **** anybody off lately ?
Old 07-03-2014, 01:15 AM
DaveNewman

Originally Posted by 9redfox3
I would be ****ing Wild ! Good luck with it I hope you find out who did it? Did you **** anybody off lately ?
The car is obnoxiously loud so that is certainly possible...although considering there were multiple cars vandalized that night in the area I doubt it. And yes, I am livid.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:15 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

pop headliner down and see if you can pop the roof back up from underside
Old 07-03-2014, 03:17 PM
DaveNewman

Originally Posted by mjr46
pop headliner down and see if you can pop the roof back up from underside

Already did that and it doesn't look good.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

That sucks in a way that even cursing can't describe.

Personally, since your car is a desirable notch for drag racers, I'd take the insurance check (I sure hope you had full coverage), sell the car off to a racer, and buy another one.

If that's not an option then the most realistic thing to do is beat it as "flat" as you can with a body hammer and dolly, fill it, spray it, and hope for the best. The roof steel on Fox cars is so thin that you're basically asking for a miracle if you expect that approach to work. Even if you had access to another notch roof the replacement cost would vastly exceed the value of the car.

Or plan C, F the body damage and turn it into the most hostile drag car on the planet. Ugly and fast wins. If to looks like s$%t then you wont mind beating on it like it stole your bike in 3rd grade.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:24 PM
mustangman711

I had damage such as yours on a 1993 Mustang Coupe that I bought that way.
I took it to a body shop and they welded wires to the roof and used a "Special Puller" on it and it came out SWEET! I had some other Minor Dents Fixed and the total was only about $650.00.
But, I "Re-Placed" the Fenders, Hood and Trunk Lid with used one that I bought at a pick-a-part that happened to be the same color. Nice! The Hood Cowl I spent hours on and fixed myself and it looks great and with the Plastic Vented Cowl Cover on, you cannot tell at all.
Have not had the car re-painted yet but it sure does look nice.

In short, get another estimate and look in the boneyards for the hood.
Heck, I'll sell you a hood that you can re-paint.

Jon
Old 07-04-2014, 06:32 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

the roof dont look to good if it was mine I would go on a search for a roof. I do bodywork for a living and I still would find a roof skin. they are not that had to put on. It is one of the first thing people see on your car plus it is up high so you see it every time you get in the car. Just finding one may be a pain. But it could be fixed if worked out. just getting in and beating it back up is not always a good thing to do with thin metal due to it stretching so easy. The hood no big deal get a fiber glass one for it or find a used one there are lots of them out there.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:12 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Dude that sucks. Talk to a Dent removal service. They'll come to your house anddo the work. Those guys do some amazing things. They take spoon shaped devises and work the dents out. Couple of those look pretty deep but I've seen these services deal with some pretty nasty hail damage with good results. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Fox roof and hood damage