5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

distributor/TFI testing?

Old 07-18-2014, 04:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

Default distributor/TFI testing?

hey guys
i have the distributor out of the car as i am putting everything back together still. are there any tests i can get done on it? i was reading someplace about testing the TFI or something? i think thats a different part though? if so i can get it done too i guess.
i just take the part to autozone or whatever and they know what to check?
thanks in advance
Old 07-18-2014, 09:33 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the parts places will test the tfi although id put it out in the sun and let it warm it up before the test since they usually fail when hot and work when they cool down
Old 07-18-2014, 09:48 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

why do you want to test it?? did it have problems before?? also those vatozone tfi testers are a joke......merchandizers is all they are, tfi's only often test bad or act up when subjected to the underhood temps and absorb all that heat
Old 07-19-2014, 12:55 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9550
hey guys
i have the distributor out of the car as i am putting everything back together still. are there any tests i can get done on it? i was reading someplace about testing the TFI or something? i think thats a different part though? if so i can get it done too i guess.
i just take the part to autozone or whatever and they know what to check?
thanks in advance
Did the distributor work when you took it out of the car? If yes they don't usually go bad unless you left it outside and water got to it. You could always stick it in a working car and see if it works. (that's a lot of work for nothing) Like Rmodel said you can take the TFI to a parts store but those tests are hit or miss at best.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:50 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

If you do take it in for testing, have them test it 3 times in a row. By the 3rd test the module is very hot and that's where it'll fail if bad.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

thanks guys
everything 'worked' before i took the car apart, but i think i may have an issue with that part that makes the car die when it gets too hot. is that the TFI?
anyway, i just thought maybe there was some worthwhile testing i could do while it was out of the car. it appears i guess what you are saying is that it either works or doesnt work and there no degrees in between, like a battery for example
ok, i will just put it all back together. thanks again
Old 07-19-2014, 12:35 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Your 95 has the tfi mounted on the inner fender under the air filter/air intake tube. It stopped being such a problem once they relocated it from the side of the distributor.

That's not to say it doesn't still go bad, it is just more prone to heat soak on the fox mustangs that still have it mounted to the distributor.

The only think that would concern me is that you put a torch on the dizzy to get it out lol. Exactly how hot did you get it.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:57 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Your 95 has the tfi mounted on the inner fender under the air filter/air intake tube. It stopped being such a problem once they relocated it from the side of the distributor.

That's not to say it doesn't still go bad, it is just more prone to heat soak on the fox mustangs that still have it mounted to the distributor.

The only think that would concern me is that you put a torch on the dizzy to get it out lol. Exactly how hot did you get it.
I dont remember saying I used I torch to get it out and I definitely dont remember actually using a torch. I ended up getting it out with a prybar iirc
Old 07-20-2014, 05:49 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9550
hey all
trying to get the distributor off my car.
i have heard it can get stuck on there pretty good, but i think what i am encountering here is something special.
i cant spin it and i cant pull it out.
i have tried using a large adjustable wrench on the housing, no good. i then tried whacking the end of the wrench with a small sledge hammer, no good.
i tried heating the block as best i could around the base and then using the wrench and hammer technique, no good. i tried heating it, then spraying pbblaster, then wrnech and hammer, no good.
the wrench actually cracked, and then busted completely. distributor moved maybe, MAYBE, 0.5mm (i marked it before trying to remove it).
im guessing maybe i need a longer wrench to get more torque (or a wrench with a pipe over the handle, whatever). i dont know how that will work any better than the wrench/hammer combo, but i dont know much to begin with.
any suggestions will be considered.
Im pretty sure that's why the rubber oring is melted lol unless you meant when you heated it you used a hair dryer

Last edited by dawson1112; 07-20-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:49 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Im pretty sure that's why the rubber oring is melted lol unless you meant when you heated it you used a hair dryer
holy crap! i forgot all about that!
i had picked up a crappy little torch from harbor freight that went into the trash pretty much the next day. coincidentally i just bought a real torch from home depot yesterday, so when you mentioned the heating the distributor thing, i was like, i didnt even have a torch back then , how could i have heated the distributor base...
clearly my memory is crap, sorry.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: distributor/TFI testing?