Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2014 MUSTANG GT TRACK KEY -- M-14204-MGTTKA

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 08:00 AM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

FINALLY! Some answers and a summarized description of the 2 different options, directly from Ford's website.... (Not sure on availability yet) YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO TURN THE LOPEY IDLE OFF on the "Trac Cal" tune for the earlier models built before 7/13. ALSO, THIS CALIBRATION ADDS HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE!

They also compare it to one of the common Pro-Cal tunes.

...I'm still torn on whether or not to do buy a later cluster and recalibrate my "as-built" data so that I can have the key instead of the Trac Cal tune. One benefit of the tune versus the key would be the on-demand readiness versus needing to insert another key. (What if you left the key at home or found yourself in a situation where you wanted the extra horsepower on the street, and the stock key was currently in the ignition? Kindof a hassle to stop the car and swap keys, right?) The benefit of just the key would be the ability to have the stock tune when going on a trip or whatever. ...Makes me curious if fuel mileage or drivability will be negatively affected during normal driving.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=23702

http://www.fordracingparts.com/annou...ent_2014v3.pdf
Old 06-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Hellride

Wouldn't you still need to reload the stock tune using the procal handheld just like any other tuner? You can adjust some things, like lope idle if I understand correctly, via the dash but I'm not sure about absolutely everything being able to be swapped to stock via the dash. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your concern?

A key is easy. I do have a concern about a spare key being able to be made though it's likely unwarranted concern. I'd just keep the track key in the console if I needed a quick change.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:48 AM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

People have been receiving shipments. I ordered mine today through Auto Nation. Nice guys and I was impressed with their customer service. Paid $380 for the Track Cal and filter, they should arrive in the next day or 2.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:13 AM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Received the Track Cal with voucher and K&N filter next day air from Auto Nation, registered myself and the car with Ford Racing this afternoon. Called Ford Racing to verify all is well and they are overnighting my Pro Cal tuner so I should have it tomorrow assuming they got it out the door in time. Now I just need to set my appointment with the dealer to have it installed. ~Also in the picture is a track key that they also shipped in the same bundle for a friend's 2013. He did the cluster swap on his.

Name:  image_zpsc19adbe4.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  117.9 KB
Old 06-18-2014, 11:43 PM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Pro Cal tuner, Trac Cal SIM card and EO Decal arrived today. I have a tentative appointment for next Tuesday at the dealer for installation.

Name:  10386893_870500992963499_2345430317969222326_o_zps87c1f81f.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  59.9 KB
Old 06-30-2014, 10:06 PM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Enjoying my Track Cal. I drove all through the Sierra/Nevada mountains for the majority of last 3 days, burned through 3-4 tanks of fuel while still getting over 20MPG like before. It did obtain a check engine light with the Cat Efficiency codes on day 1, cleared them and they have not come back after 2 days and 2-3 tanks of gas. The car performs much better in all aspects, especially engine braking and throttle response. My only complaint is how long it takes for the lopey idle to activate. I also noticed if you "nearly stall" the car with the clutch as I did today on my way into the garage, it WILL shut off the lopey idle and require you to wait the 130 seconds before it kicks back in. There must be a minimum rpm requirement, or it must have thought I actually stalled the car. I'm sure this tune will have a few bugs and in my case I have plenty of warranty left to deal with it since I'm at 6k miles. I would think Ford Racing will eventually patch any issues if part failures arise, or if severe drivability issues come up. So far a few codes and no other issues and I'm definitely happy. I have not yet tried the launch control or pit speed limiter.

Last edited by bwkelley76; 06-30-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

So I take it the track key tune and FRPP tune are basically the same except you get option of lopey idle and 2 step launch ability with the key and you can switch between stock and the tune with the track key obviously? Is there any difference in prices to have the dealership set up or install these?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:26 AM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
So I take it the track key tune and FRPP tune are basically the same except you get option of lopey idle and 2 step launch ability with the key and you can switch between stock and the tune with the track key obviously? Is there any difference in prices to have the dealership set up or install these?
Tunes are identical, one has a key and one will be in the PCM at all times. The Track Cal is beneficial (and a little more expensive) in the fact that you receive a Pro Cal tuner as part of the deal. Easier to download updates as they happen and troubleshoot, clear codes, etc. Doesn't hold the "wow" factor that the key does however, but "wow" tends to wear out over time.

Dealership will cut the key on the Track Key and charge about an hour for install. Just the hour install on the Track Cal with tuner.

There is a bunch of info on the various forums and on FRPP's website.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:28 AM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

Just in...

LINK:...

Trackey for manual 2014 GT's manufactured after 7/1/2013 - Page 14 - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Ray from the Ford Racing Tech Line has chimed in on the link above regarding the catalyst efficiency codes and Check Engine light. Sounds like FRPP has it figured out.

Cats should be fine, there is an issue with the software that is causing a "false positive" during catalyst monitoring. I talked with him in depth over the phone and it all makes sense.

They are issuing a revised tune in the next week or so for those of us that have the problem. Nothing should change in terms of the lopey idle and other performance + everything will still remain smog legal.

Not everyone will have these problems either, just a handful. Good to hear they are fixing it.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:15 AM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

As per Ray's permission, here is a snipit of his post with his contact info for anyone that has the Track Key/Track Cal...

"There will be an updated calibration that will take care of the false codes for cats. The cats are not being damaged.

Please send me an email with full name, VIN and shipping address, when the new cal is released I wil make sure everyone receives it. Not everyone will see these codes but we want everyone to get the new cal to make sure you dont ever have these codes.

My direct email is rherron9@ford.com

Thanks, Ray"

Quick Reply: 2014 MUSTANG GT TRACK KEY -- M-14204-MGTTKA