Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bought a '06 supercharged mustang. Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 02:18 PM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

Any advice for me would be much appreciated.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:27 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I don't know what to say. Don't buy a car in the states while you are stationed over seas. I would have to see a car like that in person and drive it before buying.

Why would someone buy a car and then sell it in 3 months? Because there is something wrong with it.

I would want to verify it actually has forged internals by pulling the oil pan or possibly putting a camera in the spark plug hole. You can get a cheap usb camera on amazon.com that will at least tell you if the pistons are stock.

Aftermarket warranties are usually garbage and I doubt they'd cover anything related to the blower.

14psi would be well over 450rwhp, even with a lower compression engine, especially if it's stroked. Meth injection? No intercooler/heat exchanger?

Just trying to keep it real, not trying to rain on your parade.
Originally Posted by CMcNam
It may seem like too good a deal to pass up right now, but just wait until your deployment is over. It's better to wait and know for sure then to be impatient and wind up with a lump of useless metal on your hands. There will be other deals that are too good to pass up when you get back.
Originally Posted by derboesekoenig
Any advice for me would be much appreciated.
Don't know what else to say. Nearly every response after this will probably say the same thing. If you just can't wait, check the engine's condition. Pictures of the outside of the car, or even the engine, aren't going to tell us what's going on inside. Even if it's in good condition, you should still wait until you get home.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:50 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

No way do you buy it without driving it yourself. $14k may seem like a great deal but if its fubar you just lost $14k. Can you afford that? Can you afford a new motor if this one goes? No intercooler.......scary!!
Old 04-28-2013, 02:58 PM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

Could I just put in an intercooler and new pulley?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:13 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Here are two options. The most important thing with FI is the tune. You need to verify this car is tuned properly.

http://www.brenspeed.com/v3houpgrade.html

http://www.brenspeed.com/airtoairupgrade.html
Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 AM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

I had planned on taking it to get dyno tuned. I just thought that since it had the methanol injection, it would keep it cool enough. I don't even plan on ever running this car hard. Would it be alright without an intercooler? Are they difficult to install?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Okay, here's my 2 cents. Yes it happens, people make impulse buys without thinking it through all the time. I bought a used, supercharged Mustang off the dealers lot myself. Luckily it had only one previous owner who was cool enough to contact me and give me everything he still had for the car after the sale.

What I learned is that this guy was a fanatic and took fantastic care of the vehicle. This showed in the outward appearance of the body, paint etc. That's a good sign that it didn't belong to a 16 year old kid who wailed on the motor. If the vehicle has an SCT tuner then perhaps there is some way to track down who tuned it by using the device serial number. Whoever tuned it should have knowledge or records of mods that were done to the motor.

That being said, in the coming months of ownership I found vacuum leaks all over. I eventually pulled the inlet tube to the supercharger and found some oil. Turns out that was a leaking oil seal. Next season a bearing went out in the Vortech. Related? Who knows. Point is, even if it was babied things still will go wrong.

Prowl around the forums. Chances are the original owner has been online while building it, or maybe someone will recognize the car and have some info.

Good luck whatever you decide. If it were me, I'd go over it with a fine tooth comb and probably take everything apart before I would trust it.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:37 PM
mighted1987
3rd Gear Member

Sound like my story, except i bought it 10k more then you, and had a billions problems and prolly put around 8k on it in repair and fixing, just hope everything go fine for you, this ruined my last summer dramaticly, it finally run great but cant forget what happened before.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:40 PM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

I guess I will try and track down the guy who tuned it and see what information I can get.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I would think the warranty is a wash on that car. I've bought aftermarket warranties in the past and they have all been very specific when it comes to modifications...Void of warranty. They have had no problems replacing stuff that was factory, or factory replacement parts. But in all of the fine print I read the same thing over and over again. Modifications = no warranty.

Quick Reply: Bought a '06 supercharged mustang. Questions