4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Oil empty

Old 12-28-2013, 09:05 AM
thatdude305
3rd Gear Member

Default Oil empty

I went to Jiffy Lube to get my oil changed and whlen they checked the dipstick it was completely dry. They had to flush it and then added oil. Is there anything specific that I should get checked? My car is an 02 with just under 97k? Thanks
Old 12-28-2013, 11:09 AM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

This could be true, but personally I would never take my car there or anywhere else. Did they show you that there was really no oil on the stick? I've just read about so many scams about these places.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:10 AM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

And how many miles were you on due on that oil change?
Old 12-28-2013, 01:26 PM
TXMach
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tangystang
This could be true, but personally I would never take my car there or anywhere else. Did they show you that there was really no oil on the stick? I've just read about so many scams about these places.
Ditto. Just DIY from now on.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:00 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Flush it? Flush what? Unless u have some crazy leak or burn shame on you for not aleast checking your oil level every now and again lol
Old 12-28-2013, 02:32 PM
thatdude305
3rd Gear Member

yeah they did show me the dipstick and it was dry. The car ran like a beast tho. But yeah Shame on me for not checking it. Well lesson well learned I almost lost my first born. From here on out Im gonna check it every other week.

MY BABBIES!!!
Name:  DSC00403.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  161.0 KB
Old 12-28-2013, 10:07 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

What did they "flush"
Old 12-29-2013, 11:35 AM
TXMach
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
What did they "flush"
I once worked at a similar business. I'm not proud of it, but I really needed work. I don't care if we're talking about Jiffy Lube or any other comparable business, it's all the same song and dance.

In the case of the "engine flush" it's about half a quart of "stuff" you pour into the engine as if you were topping off your oil. It's meant to remove "gunk". It has been proven harmful to some engines, because it's too corrosive for seals in some cases. In any case I'd say never ever in your life go to a place like that.

Most of the employees are NOT car people, they just think they are. They make their money based on how many services they can sell you. Some people are actually honest, but not many. I didn't last there because I refused to rip people off.

I worked there for about four or five months before I was able to finally find another job. My boss was always on me about selling more. I'd do my best and offer people wiper blades or an air filter, but never flushes of any kind. If they asked about synthetics I was glad to offer advice on different products, but I could never in good conscience offer someone something I knew they didn't need. Especially if it would potentially harm their vehicle and cost them thousands down the road.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:41 PM
thatdude305
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TXMach
I once worked at a similar business. I'm not proud of it, but I really needed work. I don't care if we're talking about Jiffy Lube or any other comparable business, it's all the same song and dance.

In the case of the "engine flush" it's about half a quart of "stuff" you pour into the engine as if you were topping off your oil. It's meant to remove "gunk". It has been proven harmful to some engines, because it's too corrosive for seals in some cases. In any case I'd say never ever in your life go to a place like that.

Most of the employees are NOT car people, they just think they are. They make their money based on how many services they can sell you. Some people are actually honest, but not many. I didn't last there because I refused to rip people off.

I worked there for about four or five months before I was able to finally find another job. My boss was always on me about selling more. I'd do my best and offer people wiper blades or an air filter, but never flushes of any kind. If they asked about synthetics I was glad to offer advice on different products, but I could never in good conscience offer someone something I knew they didn't need. Especially if it would potentially harm their vehicle and cost them thousands down the road.
They probably did get me but it seems like stuff I needed anyways.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:02 PM
Tipsy Bojangles

My car seems to burn a good bit of oil, but I don't have the most "mature" driving habits. I managed to kill 2 quarts in 3000 miles, and I have a 99 PI motor. Keep in mind it only takes a bit over a quart low to get outside what the dipstic can read though, don't feel too guilty about it