4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MGW install

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 05:43 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Default MGW install

MGW Shifter HOW TO:

Parts included in the kit:
Shifter
Shifter Handel
Sealer
Allen Wrench
4 Bolts with lock washers
2 Shifter Stops with lock washers and bolts
Small Rubber Ring

Tools Needed:
Putty Knife/Razor Blade
Socket Wench with 8mm, 10mm, 13mm sockets, and swivel joint highly recommended
Allen Wrench (supplied with the kit)

Step 1:
Park your mustang and make sure it will not roll back and put the car in neutral.

Step 2:
Unscrew your shift ****

Step 3:
Remove the boot housing, the easiest way to do this is grab the boot and pull up and to you. Do not pull to hard or you will break the clips that hold the housing in place, also you will pull out the 12V power supply cord. Then remove the wire clip out of the power supply. Once the boot is removed the shifter and the handle will be in plain view, the picture below shows what the console looks like with the boot and housing removed.

Step 4:
Next, you need to remove the stock shifter handle, there are two bolts that hold it on, they are located on the right side of the handle. You will need to get the 10mm socket and wrench to do this. The picture below shows the handle removed.

Step 5:
You need to remove the dust boot and the metal ring that holds it in place, to do this there are 4 bolts, 2 in front of the shifter and 2 in back of the shifter. You will need the 8mm socket to do this. A swivel joint makes life a lot easier to get at the back 2 bolts. Lift out the dust boot and ring, this is a little tricky because it is a tight fit. The picture below shows the shifter itself, with the dust boot removed.

Step 6:
Next, you will have to remove the shifter itself off of the tranny. There are 4 bolts located at each corner of the shifter base that have to be removed. Use the 13mm socket and wrench to do this, a swivel joint makes life a lot easier at this step. Below is a picture of what the tranny looks like with the shifter removed from the top of it. On some trannies there is a small black piece of plastic that attaches to the ball on the bottom of the shifter, you will know if you have one or not if it is stuck to the bottom of the stock shifter when you pull if off the tranny. Now pull off this plastic piece making sure not to break it and put it on the MGW shifter.

Step 7:
Now, you have to remove the stock shifter silicone sealer that is stuck to the tranny. I was very lucky; barely any goo was stuck to my tranny. To get any off, use a putty knife and a razor blade. Wipe any excess dirt and goo off the tranny with a rag or paper towel before going on to the next step.

Step 8:
Now you have to apply the new sealer that was supplied in the kit. The directions say to apply the new goo in a zigzag pattern, but after the first couple of inches I gave up and just smeared the goo on the tranny. As long as you put enough on there it will be more then fine, just be very generous as to make sure it seals good. Below is a picture of the tranny with the new sealant smeared on it. Note: aftermarket shifter gaskets are a whole lot easier!

Step 9:
Installing the new shifter:

On the Tremec 3650 (second half of 01, 02, 03, 04 GTs. 01 Cobra. 03 04 Mach. And 01 02 Bullitt GTs) and T56 (03 04 Cobra) it is not advised to install the shift stops. The shift stops are so you do not over shifter the lever and bend a shift fork inside the tranny. Any other tranny that you have that MGW makes a shifter for; it is advised that you do install the stops. MGW says that you can install the stops of the 56 and 3650, but if not install just right they can severely damage the tranny. It is advised that you install the stops at your own risk on the 56 and 3650.

If you do not need the stops, unscrew them from the shifter base, if not leave them in, and back them out a few turns for now. Now, evenly and gently but the new shifter on the tranny, making sure to put the ball in the little cup and not to smear the goo too much. Then hand screw the bolts supplied in the kit with the lock washer on them. Then little by little go around and evenly tighten the bolts. Tighten them like a wheel go around to each one and tighten it a little at a time. If your tranny needs the stops make sure the shifter can go into all 6 gears fully and make sure the stops are slightly away from the shifter bar. And screw on and tighten the stop bolts and lock washers.

Step 10:
Now take the small rubble round gasket and slip it into the middle of the dust boot, the inside of the dust boot hole is on the outside groove of the rubble ring. Now install the dust boot over the MGW shifter and install the 4 stock bolts, and make sure you slide the rubber boot over the shifter stalk.

Step 11:
Install the handle that MGW supplied with the kit, this handle can be positioned 360*. I put mine so it is just pointing to the drivers’ seat. The kit comes with hex screws that are already screwed into the handle; use the Allen wrench that came with the kit to tighten it down.

Step12:
Now take the shift boot and bezel and slide of over the shifter and push it back into place, you will hear the clips snapping in place.

Step13:
Screw the shift **** back on and happy shifting.

Note: This is a summery of MGW’s detailed directions. If you mess your tranny or car up by following these directions, I am not at fault.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Default RE: MGW install

It has been a month since is installed my MGW shifter, it has had plenty of use and time to break in. At first the shifter was hard to get into gear, but that is normal. after a few days of driving it, it starts to loosen up and go into gear like butter. Well a month later and it shifts really nice. I have not done a full out 1st - 4th run with power shiftingm, so i dont know whats its like, but its very hard to miss third now. i could not be any happier about the company and the shifter.

Stock Shifter: sloppy, long throws, fells like you are shifting a rubber stick.

MGW Shifter: short, goes into gear so smoothly, precise, just an overall nice everyday shifter, makes drive alot more enjoyable.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Rockford_Vzla

can't see the pics.... pls somenone can fix it?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:58 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Rockford_Vzla
can't see the pics.... pls somenone can fix it?
Probably not--it's a nearly 6 year old thread, however it comes with complete instructions...

Last edited by cliffyk; 03-23-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:47 PM
JonnyBlazeGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Probably not--it's a nearly 6 year old thread, however it comes with complete instructions...
I know this is old but I installed one today that I ordered direct from MGW and it did not come with instructions. I was lucky that I had already found the install video on youtube.