V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

1998 Ford Mustang 3.8--small problems?

Old 04-27-2006, 07:44 PM
ironcross81

Default 1998 Ford Mustang 3.8--small problems?

Hello all. I know I posted about this before but I've been busy with work and I didn't want to start looking back for that post. Anywho, I bought this car about a month ago or so and overall it's in awesome condition but it does have little things. Wanted to see if you guys could help me diagnose these little problems and more or less what it costs to fix it. Also, please forgive me if I repost some of the same problems from the last post...I don't remember what I posted before.

1.) When I accelerate I feel the car move up a little and when I break the car moves forward, or down, and when it stops it kinds of jerks back a bit but not heavy.

2.) A/C only works on high but not on low or normal. Also, air comes out of the floor vents but it takes about 4-6 seconds before air comes out of the main front vents. Don't know if that's normal when the car is still cold.

3.) When I turn the steering wheel it whines as if it needs power steering fluid but it's full. I heard it might be the steering pump?

4.) I noticed a noise, either the radiator cooler fan or the serpintine belt but it's kind of loud. So you hear it going but almost as if it's broken somehow or loose?

5.) The plastic that holds the automatic stick is broken so I can see inside. Where can I get that new and where can I install it?

6.) The odometer and the other that helps you figure out your gas mileage stopped working. The gas mileage one went first then the odometer went a few days later.

7.) You can only hear the stereo coming out of the right side, passenger side, and not the left side, driver's side.

8.) I asked this one before for sure but don't think I got a clear answer...when I switch gears the car tends to jerk back a little bit...not a heavy jolt like I've heard others having but you can still feel it. I know it would be something with the transmission but what exactly is it and how/can it be fixed?

9.) I notice that every now and then, not often, my headlights and anything electronic, the clock, stereo lights, etc., will dim low for a few seconds but then go back to normal.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:21 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 1998 Ford Mustang 3.8--small problems?

Hmmm...
1) its called weight transfer. Your car is rear wheel drive so accelerating moves the weight to the back of the car causing the front to lift. braking stops the weight transfer, then transfers it back to the front

7) put all the sound to the front left, if you hear nothing you blew the speaker

8) I hope you arent down shifting that auto...

9) could be an alternator going out, the battery gouing out, or a weak connection from the cables to the battery
Old 04-27-2006, 11:41 PM
the_wheel_man

im with ByPopularDemand i hope ur not down shifting the auto i wouldnt do that. as far *** ur lights diming my 2001 did the same thing and it was an alternator. but it could also be a loose connection at the bettery.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:42 AM
xX98StallionXx
5th Gear Member

ive got the same car as you, and i can say that:

1) Inertia or w/e does apply to everything, an object in motion will stay in motion untill friction takes it toll, and in this case brakes have to stop the car, simple enough.

2) My heat does the same as ur A/C, only straight at ur face and hot and dry... Just had to have it rewired.

3) Im pretty sure mine does the same, cant really remember, if it does ive gotten used to it, its been thru alot and kinda an old car... dunno when it was lubed last and what not.

4) When I run my car it sounds rough, like a belt or it just needs a tune up, although oil is full along with all other liquids.

5) The Shifter base can probably be ordered through your local Ford dealer.

6) As for the guages, get new ones?

7) For the stereo, is it balanced? Wires Shorted? My cars sound system sounds odd too, ive got some nice subs, but im thinking of making some sort of vent like thing to connect my trunk area to my interior so it has sound in the back seat, not just mostly in the front.

8) If your shifting you are shifting to 1st and 2nd then drive or something wierd, i would imagine you do have tranny problems.. thats not too good... But if your talking about form reverse to drive, if you go from reverse, then straight to drive without stopping or even slowing then you can also have tranny problems. It can be fixed by treating your car like a lady, gentle at first then hard and fast after shes on a roll

9) Yeah... as for the lights... i dont even have a clock... a human body going thru my windshield took that option away from me... (Previous owner hit a pedestrian and now my car has a level 3 felony counted to it) Anyway... My blinkers dont work unless i hold em in a certain spot, as if the circuit needs to be held open... and yes, i tried a new flasher... But as for yourself, might want to try some new circuits and what not. Or even the Alternator i dunno im not a mechanic these are merely suggestions..
Old 04-28-2006, 04:39 AM
Galaxie
1st Gear Member

7) Is your stereo aftermarket...and if it is did you bypass the stock amplifier...if you have the premium sound system when you add an aftermarket receiver you need to bypass the stock amplifier however if you don't do this it is usually just the driver side that plays...this happened with my car so i just hardwired the to harness that go to the amp together and it worked
Old 04-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Jefferson

I have the same problem with my A/C fan, the two lowest settings dont work. I pretty much just ignore it, but if anyone has any suggestions, giv'er!
Old 04-28-2006, 01:44 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Dude, you have some serrious electrical problems. The A/C thing is being caused, most likely, by a PCM glitch, get a Haynes manual, it will help you out with this as well as the rest of your problems. The sterio problem is probably being caused by a short in your stock built in amp, might need to get a new sterio, if problem persist, then you have a bad wire or connection leading to your speaker, in short, you may need to get an entire new system, ya know, for better sound and to fully fix the problem, take here to moble one or any other major audio shop. The odometer thing is being caused by a short in the chip that helps control the thing, take it to Ford to fix that one. The lights, sterio and other things dimming is being caused by either a bad battery, or a bad alternator, change the battery first, if that doesn't fix it then look into a new alternator. As far as the jerk, that's just Ford POS autos for ya, they tend to do weird things, I would however, take her to Firestone and get a full fluid flush, that's tranny, oil, radiator fluid, power sterring fluid, break fluid, the works, that may fix a few of the other problems you're having, also have them look her over just incase. As far as the noise goes, pop your hood and locate the site of the noise and go from there.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:40 AM
ironcross81

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate all the info, suggestions, and everything elsen you guys have given me. It's not a GT or a Cobra but I've been dying to own a Mustang all my life so I'm proud as hell of it even if it's not in perfect condition...but it'll get there.

I'll more than likely just end up replacing all the speakers and buying myself one of those indash dvd stereo systems and have it all new. I'm not into the whole bass thing...don't listen to hip hop or rap or anything like that...more of a rock guy...is there any subwoofers or anything of that sort that just emphasizes the kick drum of the drum set instead of that loud booming bass I hear in the streets from a mile away? Something more for rock music?

I was also planning on replacing the alternator, serpentine belt, pulleys, spark cables from Autobadges, 17' mustang rims from ebay, and anything else that can be replaced to new. Not really much into racing or anything but I did also want to mod it with a cold air intake, flowmaster dual exhaust system, maybe a tornado filter, and that's probably it. Any other suggestions?

Oh, one last thing. I was going to also add some tints because it didn't have any when I bought the car. I have this iron cross them going...floor mats, front license plate, lighter has the iron cross on the front of it, steering wheel cover with the iron cross, and bunch of other things. Is it possible to put these cool looking iron cross decals I have first and then put the tints over it or will there be some sort of conflict?
Old 04-29-2006, 09:29 PM
BigFuzzyArchon

ORIGINAL: ironcross81
I'll more than likely just end up replacing all the speakers and buying myself one of those indash dvd stereo systems and have it all new. I'm not into the whole bass thing...don't listen to hip hop or rap or anything like that...more of a rock guy...is there any subwoofers or anything of that sort that just emphasizes the kick drum of the drum set instead of that loud booming bass I hear in the streets from a mile away? Something more for rock music?
a subwoofer is a normal speaker, it is made to play a certain range of frequencies. The sound it makes depends on what signal it is being sent (ie music)

so if you play rock on the subwoofer, it will play those frequencies from the drum and bass guitar if you get it tuned correctly.

of course there are subwoofers that will play lower frequencies louder and clearer than others.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:32 AM
deadcarnahans
3rd Gear Member

3.) Check your tie rod bushings. They will squeal up a storm when you turn the wheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Ford Mustang 3.8--small problems?