Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Steering Wheel Shake

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 12:14 PM
triple_E_Farm
1st Gear Member

Default Steering Wheel Shake

I was wondering if any one else has had problems with a shake in their steering wheel? My 06 GT with 17inch wheels will shake on some roads, but not all. I had an 03 Lincoln Navigator that had the same problem that was never corrected I hope there is a fix for it this time.

I can drive my wife's car on the same road and not have any shakeing or even feel any thing in the steering wheel.

Any input would be helpful.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:31 PM
cableguymicah
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Steering Wheel Shake

Well good thing you are under warrenty.....Bad thing it has nothing to do with the warrenty...could be many different things...just bring it in and let us know
Old 06-16-2006, 12:33 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

It's most likely a wheel is out of balance.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:07 PM
V8 Aggie
2nd Gear Member

that happens to me at heavy braking from high speeds... 100 MPH +
Old 06-16-2006, 01:19 PM
mhahnjr
1st Gear Member

I get it sometimes. It seems random. It is not a wheel out of balance as it is a side to side movement not a hop. I know what a out of ballance wheel feels like from too much experience, sad I know. My tires have been rotated and I have felt it both before and after the rotation. But as I said it is random and unreproducable on demand so.....you know the story.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:41 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mhahnjr

I get it sometimes. It seems random. It is not a wheel out of balance as it is a side to side movement not a hop. I know what a out of ballance wheel feels like from too much experience, sad I know. My tires have been rotated and I have felt it both before and after the rotation. But as I said it is random and unreproducable on demand so.....you know the story.
Same here, most of the time, smooth as glass, sometimes it shakes back and forth, asked the dealer, of course they have no clue and when I bring it in tomorrow it won't do it...
Old 06-17-2006, 04:14 AM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

What tires do you have on? Have you noticed if the roads where the car shakes are grooved? Just wondering if maybe its a tire tread pattern issue. My BFGs (high traction comparative to the Pirellis) generate a lot more vibration at higher speeds on certain roads.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:10 AM
marguerite66
4th Gear Member

Mine was shaking slightly at highway speed but not all the time. The dealer re-indexed and rebalanced all 4 tires and it seems to have fixed it. I also have the 17 inch wheels.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:05 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

You also might want to check to make sure your tire pressure is the same on both front wheels/rear wheels. If it's not the tire pressure, check tire balance. Also have the lug nuts re-torqued.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:19 PM
triple_E_Farm
1st Gear Member

As a couple of you have said it is not all the time, but comes and goes. I am running stock 17inch wheels, and stock 235 tires.

I was considering goin with a set of 18x9 on front and 18x10 on the rear, and running some 245/40-18 on front and 265/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sport on the rear, But I don't want to make the shake worse, nor hurt my 21 mpg.

I will just have to take it in and let them look at it I guess I just wanted to know what other dealers where doing to correct the problem, so I could help my dealer fix the problem quicker.

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Shake