Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Auto-dimming Mirror Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 01:27 AM
jharcharik

Default Auto-dimming Mirror Install

Hi all,

I just took delivery on a 06 GT Vert 5-manual about two weeks ago. Has anyone installed an auto-dimming mirror on their Mustang? I'm looking to do the install myself but would like to get some feed back before I dive in. Specifically I'm interested in the install of the Gentex mirror with compass and temp. Any advise would be helpful though.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2006, 02:43 AM
swiss_stang

Default RE: Auto-dimming Mirror Install

I helped my dad install th auto-dim/homelink/compass/thermometer mirror on his 06 mustang gt. we purchased the mirror through our for dealer and it is a for genuine accessorie. we have th instructions to install the mirror still if you'ld like them. the mirror is made by gentex for ford. it has an 8 position plug that goes into the mirror and only four wires are coming out of it. let me know if you have something similar. one thing was that the direction said to go down the drivers side a pillar when the fuse box is on the passenger side. go down the passenger side a pillar to get power to the mirror. Does yours have a thermometer function? If you have any other questions let me know. i can email those instructions to you if you need them.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:48 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

When I went to the Ford dealer to find out about the optional mirror they offer with the same features mentioned, the parts manger said it wasn't available for a convertible. I figured because the wiring went through the headliner so I didn't think about it further. You may want to find out from the Ford service department because this guy may have been full of it.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:51 AM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you post the instructions in this thread for everyone to see? You'll be a HERO!
Old 06-21-2006, 04:54 PM
tomwynne
1st Gear Member

I have the ford mirror with homelink, compass and temp gauge installed by the dealer in my convertible.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs

When I went to the Ford dealer to find out about the optional mirror they offer with the same features mentioned, the parts manger said it wasn't available for a convertible. I figured because the wiring went through the headliner so I didn't think about it further. You may want to find out from the Ford service department because this guy may have been full of it.
Yes... they are FULL of it... Ford Dealership installed mine... they ran the wires though the windshield framing - as per the instructions! (duh). Your Dealership just didn't want to fool with you. Not enough profit in it for them.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:54 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

How much did the dealer charge for the install?

Earl
Old 06-21-2006, 10:32 PM
typhoon007

Do you have the part number for the mirror by chance?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:50 AM
tomwynne
1st Gear Member

The dealer charged $300 for the install.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:52 AM
tomwynne
1st Gear Member

The part number for the mirror I got is 4L3Z-17700-B

Quick Reply: Auto-dimming Mirror Install