Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

drop in air filter..worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 06:22 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

Default drop in air filter..worth it?

Ideally I would like to get the C&L intake with a tune; however, I do not want to void my warranty. I looked into getting a regular intake that requires no tuning, but since I DO plan on getting the C&L + a tune once my warranty is up, I thought that getting an intake that doesnt require a tune would be a waste of money. So instead of buying just an intake that doesnt require a tune, i was wondering what you guys thought of just getting a drop in air filter? Is it worth getting for the time being? Thanks for your help and input.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:38 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

Default RE: drop in air filter..worth it?

better than stock, and lasts much longer.
worth it
Old 07-05-2006, 06:41 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

not if your gonna end up buying an C&L like me. which you will after being on these forums for a while. so just wait and save up!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

When I put a K&N in my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 I got about 1MPG better and it deepened the exhaust note just a tad bit. I'd say they are worth it.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Britinastang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onefastv6

not if your gonna end up buying an C&L like me. which you will after being on these forums for a while. so just wait and save up!
+1...I just gave in and ordered my CAI/tune....oh how these forums currupt us!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Dancj2
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Britinastang

+1...I just gave in and ordered my CAI/tune....oh how these forums currupt us!
OK what is a cai intake, what is the diff? and Is the tune a programer?
Old 07-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

Not worth buying a C&L if you want to go FI though. It will just end up sitting in the garage after a charger or turbo goes on.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

I am noticing a definite mileage increase after installing a K&N air filter and single GT muffler. Not sure how much yet, as I've only burned 1/2 tank since these mods, but I graph my mileage very carefully and will post the results after a few tanks. Due to the inaccuracies of filling a tank, I usually only look at my 5-tank-average.

Ken
Old 07-05-2006, 09:16 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

t
ORIGINAL: Ken Rogers

I am noticing a definite mileage increase after installing a K&N air filter and single GT muffler. Not sure how much yet, as I've only burned 1/2 tank since these mods, but I graph my mileage very carefully and will post the results after a few tanks. Due to the inaccuracies of filling a tank, I usually only look at my 5-tank-average.

Ken
that would be great, thanks ken. and thanks to everyone else for their opinions and help--i really appreciate it. I'm off to pick up my ford racing exhaust right now though. bye
Old 07-05-2006, 10:58 PM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

I believe that my drop-in K&N and GT take-off have both improved the performance and gas mileage of the 05. I have K&N's in my 99 YAMAHA ROYAL STAR VENTURE motorcycle and swear by them (augmented by BUBs aftermarket pipes). More air in, more air out; can't go wrong there.

Quick Reply: drop in air filter..worth it?