Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Releasing Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:28 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default Releasing Parking Brake

It is my understanding that I release the parking brake by pushing it allll the way to the ground and it will release it back up. I was able to do this once. Well now, my parking brake is set but it won't come back up. I can here it make the noise when it is pushed all the way down, but when I take my foot off it doesn't release it. Could this be because my brake system is not bleed yet?

So if it won't release when I push down all the way like it should, how can I undo the parking brake? Does a spring or something need to be replaced once I get it back up?

Thanks everyone in advance.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:49 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Releasing Parking Brake

maybe sure the parking brake itself isnt jamed on something
Old 11-30-2006, 05:18 AM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

I just bend the hell outta it till it releases, the damn thing is like a chimney flume handle from a 60 year old house, just takes some wreckless muscle power.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:04 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

thanks for the input, anyone else have an idea?
Old 11-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Parking brake should not be dependent on bleeding. It will be dependent on adjustment. You may need to move the pall by hand to release the lever. Then properly adjust your brakes, then properly adjust the cables. At that point, try setting and releasing you P. Brake.
Make sure the cables are good and slack before making any adjustment of the star wheel.

Good luck,

****edit
to fix spelling. Seeing as it's not tax time yet, we should be talking dependency, not dependancy
I hate english!
Old 11-30-2006, 11:37 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the useful information Scott. Would you mind giving a step by step of simply releasing it? because it won't work with my foot no matter how hard I slam it. So i need to push the pedal down and move something out of the way so it will pop back up?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:57 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Yeah, there is a pawl that engages to release the tension pawl. As you push down keep an eye on the mechanism near the bottom. It's easier to see than it is to explain. Especially lately since English is becoming my second language.

There is a good diagram of this lever in the Mitchell reference series manual that should be available at your local library in the reference section. The first time I had to fix one that's where I got the information.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:20 AM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

um...if this is the 69,lol, you need to pull the release lever. It should be right under the dash. I may have been bent and you may have took up under there for it. Its a lever sticking sideways out of the brake. On the end of the lever, it says Parking Brake. If it was broken off, then you'll need to manually release it by basically screwing around with it.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Too funny!
I wasn't even looking at the car. Mid-70's is when Ford went to the "double pump" park brake.

DOH! Pulling the release lever would be much easier
Old 12-01-2006, 02:10 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Alright thanks scott. I'll take a crack at it tomorrow or saturday. And btw, I don't have a parking brake release lever. And even if i did, the dash isn't even in my car.

Quick Reply: Releasing Parking Brake