4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Air bag replacement how to....

Old 01-22-2007, 03:53 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Default Air bag replacement how to....

So for specific reasons un-discloseable to protect the innocent or otherwise, I need any info anyone can give me pertaining to replacing my passanger side air bag! (we are talkin SRS, not suspension), I have info on the drivers side, all I need is info on how to install the passenger side and also the control module, It is located behind the stereo if i am not mistaken?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:13 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Air bag replacement how to....

I can get you the R&R procedure,,might be later tonight.(can't right now,,no scanner)I have a "How to "hybrid class til 9:00.....also the module is located ....center tunnel,below the climate control center...
Old 01-22-2007, 02:22 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Went home for lunch,,so here ya go,,any more help,,Let me know....

Old 01-22-2007, 08:53 PM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

PERFECT! Thank you! I do have one question though... it mentions disabelling the Air Bag System... In the Haynes manual it says to just disconnect the battery... is there something else I should disconnect? And should the Control Module be replaced at the same time, or can I finish that part later? Why I ask is I do not want to deploy the new air bags by doing something wrong! Thank you!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:10 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

My hybrid class wasdrag,,,already had the class last year,,thought by now they would added new info,,so I poped out early...to answer your question,,yes,,,disconect both cables and wait 15 minutes before attemping repair....thats all....yeah, you really should replace the module now...along with th other stuff...before you reconnect the batt.....Was this in an accident?did you replace the drivers air bag and clock spring?impact sensors?Laters.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:48 PM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

It wasnt exactley an accident.... I was doing dougnuts in a parking lot, and thought it would be a good idea to get my car stuck in between two concrete curbs... like a parking space... instead of keeping the "drift" going I stopped... and realized I was now stuck inbetween a rock and a hard spot.... literally! So I floored it to swing the back end around and get out, only it didnt swing the way I expected it to swing! Instead in went smack dab into the curb! Didn't do any damage, and it wasnt high speed, but the air bags still deployed! NO damage was done to the car aside from deployed air bags. So I bought some airbags on eBay, a Cobra air bag for the drivers side, they arrived about ten minutes ago, and I have a Controle Module on the way, also from eBay. I kinda wanted to get the air bags installed now on the count of I am tired of driving around with tape on my steering wheel! But I guess i will wait for the Module! Think the air bags may deploy right away with the old module in there? I have heard that crash sensors are recomended... how badly do you think I need them?
[sm=oopssign.gif]
Old 01-24-2007, 02:18 PM
bullitzer

hey im going through the same deal. have a few questions. First can you guys give me the instructions for the drivers side and enabling/ disabling the air bags? second i am told by ford there are no sensors in the bumper, that the sensor and the module are the same thing, so is this true? third if a module from a 99 explorer wil work? and fourth, if my clock spring needs to be replaced. what happened here was i crashed my car into a rock wall and both bags blew out. got bags and a mod on ebay . Thanks !!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:03 PM
bullitzer

any help please i want to do this weekend!!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 03:00 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

I'll take home the R&R and disable procedures tonight ,,..need to scan so I can post...Yes..I just checked and the impact sensor is in the air bag module itself...I dont think you can use one from a exploer,....butwill look into further.......
Old 02-05-2007, 05:17 PM
bullitzer

THANKS FOR THE HELP NEW BAGS ARE IN NO LIGHT ON DASH!!! had a bit of confusion with the centering of the clockspring but i think i got it right!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air bag replacement how to....