4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

How to turbo your normally aspirated 2.3L.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:57 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How to turbo your normally aspirated 2.3L.

ORIGINAL: Bansheeman6100

so, how do you think i would make more power, buying a TC, or building the N/A engine a little? and, will the stock rear-end out of a 92LX be ok?
Still N/A? he turbo will eat it alive, end of story
Old 05-22-2008, 11:13 AM
turbo87mustang
1st Gear Member

you do not want to turbo a n/a motor, simply because it has cast iron pistons, anything over 3 or 5 psi will burn them pistons slap up. those pistons are not going to work with a turbo. correct me if im wrong, but thats what i read when studying up on my project
Old 05-22-2008, 05:20 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: turbo87mustang

you do not want to turbo a n/a motor, simply because it has cast iron pistons, anything over 3 or 5 psi will burn them pistons slap up. those pistons are not going to work with a turbo. correct me if im wrong, but thats what i read when studying up on my project
It will work, its just a matter of tuning tuning tuning. If its tuned right N/A pistons will hold up to 20 PSI.

Also evintho is alive, he just dosen't have interweb at home
Old 05-22-2008, 05:23 PM
turbo87mustang
1st Gear Member

oh ok, well thats what i read up and studied on because i got my turbo before i got the T motor and it would just simply dissengrate (spelling error i know) them, but i could be wrong
Old 07-02-2008, 03:58 PM
svtjoe

How high of a boost can a non-turbo 2.3 with forged pistons take?? How about the induction?? Will the mass air work with the turbo?? I always read that mass air systems respond better to mods than speed density.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 PM
turbo87mustang
1st Gear Member

well if u have low compression pistons, however u tune, but if u running high compression pistons, u cant turbo, u would blow the engine apart with to much pressure lol. but if u put forged pistons in n/a and turbo it, u will be fine, just tap and drill for oil supply and return lines and yes maf would work, but what does speed density have to do with it??? just kinda accurately tell ecm/pcm air measurements.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:41 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: svtjoe

How high of a boost can a non-turbo 2.3 with forged pistons take?? How about the induction?? Will the mass air work with the turbo?? I always read that mass air systems respond better to mods than speed density.
Depends on timing, fuel, cam, engine load, etc etc. Your fuel pump will max out at 17 PSI.

MAF will work, but you'll need a tune, a 2.3 turbo isn't SD, its VAM, older version of MAF. You can run 10 inHg vacuu without a computer or fuel issue, but the brakes wont like you.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:18 AM
Tiger6732

could this swap be done in a 85 ranger pickup?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:19 PM
DetUtmost

Default transmission.

i'm doing a swap with a turbocoupe engine and want to know if the factory 4 speed overdrive tranny can handle the full 10-15 pounds of boost or if Ford just lowered the boost on the automatic because they felt like it? or would you recommend just putting in the 5 speed anyway?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

I would definitely put the 5-speed manual in! The factory A4LD auto tranny is the weakest and most power robbing transmission ford has ever come out with. If you just buy a donner car that has a 2.3 turbo, it will more than likely have the 5-speed in it and you can just swap them both. If all goes well, I will have a great turbocoupe to "donate" to my mustang project ;-)

Quick Reply: How to turbo your normally aspirated 2.3L.