4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

IAC box removal??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:23 AM
ramprat
1st Gear Member

Default IAC box removal??

anyone removed the little box connected to the iac hose and just ran a plain old hose? theres nothing in it so i don't see why it'd hurt - but i wanna make sure.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:53 AM
BuzzCut
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: IAC box removal??

That is a muffler. It will be very annoying without it. It doesn't affect performance so why ghetto it?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:02 AM
ramprat
1st Gear Member

the empty plastic box that connects from the intake plenum to the intake tube via plastic tube is a muffler? how is just putting a hose on it ghetto? :| you know what i'm talking about right?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:05 AM
BuzzCut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ramprat

the empty plastic box that connects from the intake plenum to the intake tube via plastic tube is a muffler? how is just putting a hose on it ghetto? :| you know what i'm talking about right?
Yes I do and it is a muffler. If it doesn't cost you power why remove it? When you just tear stuff off for NO reason that is ghetto maintenance. Do what you want but I can bet you won't like it that way for long.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:25 AM
ramprat
1st Gear Member

if it whines can't hear it over the s/c anyway i was wondering in the first place because on my wifes car it's just kinda dangling around with the hose and looks crappy - wasn't going to do it for power, its for asthetics - instead of having a silly box hanging around it'd be a hose.

looks silly for some reason to me
Old 06-07-2007, 03:48 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

At the risk of sounding overly simplistic, this would seem to me to be a quite reversible modification--so why not just take it out and see what happens?[/align][/align]It is a silencer. The airflow through the IAC (and the entire intake) is not a continuous stream but rather a series of pulses as each cylinder draws in air and fuel--the little airbox provides a reserve and dampening effect to the pulsed flow into the IAC to reduce any noise that might be generated. I suspect that it does also impact the idle control performance to some extent because of the dampening/reserve effect.[/align]
Old 06-07-2007, 11:59 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I always wondered what the hell that box was for.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:10 PM
BuzzCut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

At the risk of sounding overly simplistic, this would seem to me to be a quite reversible modification--so why not just take it out and see what happens?[/align][/align]It is a silencer. The airflow through the IAC (and the entire intake) is not a continuous stream but rather a series of pulses as each cylinder draws in air and fuel--the little airbox provides a reserve and dampening effect to the pulsed flow into the IAC to reduce any noise that might be generated. I suspect that it does also impact the idle control performance to some extent because of the dampening/reserve effect.[/align]
Doesn't affect anything and as far as dampning, IMO, Dampning is usually reserved for fluids. You could pull the hose off and affect the idle due to unmetered air entering the engine.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

so that box has a purpose after all
Old 06-07-2007, 12:39 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Air is a fluid... [/align][/align]That is, it's motion and behaviour are governed by the principles of fluid dynamics...[/align]

Quick Reply: IAC box removal??