Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Clear coat vs single stage paint?

Old 02-03-2008, 02:17 AM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Default Clear coat vs single stage paint?

Has anyone here put single stage paint on their car? I know with metallic, clear coat is pretty much required. But I am reading a lot of conflicting opinions on various car forums about clear coat and solid colors. Some say single stage will give a better mirror finish on a solid color, but of course not the added protection. My car will be repainted the original honey gold solid color (no metallic). This will not be a daily driver car and probably never driven in nasty weather. The days it will be driven it will be exposed to sunlight, which I would think would be more damaging than rain anyway. Does the clear coat provide UV protection from the sun? After 43 years the *mostly original paint on my car is thin in places and has various scratches but no checking or cracking anywhere and where the paint is still thick enough (most of the car)it shines beautifully when waxed. And of course that was single stage paint. *By mostly original I mean it has had touch up where there was rust repair over the back wheel wells and the back lower quarters.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:47 AM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Clear coat vs single stage paint?

i don't have much to compare it to - but this is our "autocross" mobile after we got it back from being painted. it was used with PPG Omni AU Urethane with NO clear coat at all, and this was over 3 years ago and it STILL looks EXACTLY the same. shiny as ever, and it sits outside, in the shop, on the trailer and going all over road courses and parking lots. i've had bird turds on it and they just wipe off. this is the same kind of paint i plan on repainting the 67 with, and i'm not at all worried about it not having a clear coat. the previous black paint on this neon obviously had a clear coat which sucked because it flaked off. - same with the mustang next to it, the paint started dying #1 because of the sun in florida and #2 because the factory clearcoat sucked.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:11 AM
rbrown22
2nd Gear Member

go with base and clearcoat only... last much longer and clearcoat gives more protection also.. Clearcoat can be added in many many layers..
Old 02-03-2008, 09:28 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

personally id go baseclear unless your on a budget, it allows for easier touchup down the road if need be. now the origianl paint on the classics were enamel im pretty sure. enamels are a very scratch resistant paint but nto very chip resistant. today 2k single stages are pretty good uv wise but they do get chalky looking if you dont keep them up. base clear allows you to tkae your paint and buff it to a mirror if you preferr something your not gonna do with a gold single stage
Old 02-03-2008, 09:31 AM
HGC
4th Gear Member

That shiny mirror appearance is what I am talking about. Take a look at this link to a paint discussion on a Buick forum. Scroll a little over halfway down until you get to the big picture of the black Buick with the single stage paint.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/gen...-painting.html
Old 02-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

There's nothing wrong with single stage, especially on a classic. The color won't look as deep as bc/cc, but you can get it just as shiny. It's all in how much work you want to put into it. If you prep well, lay down the paint properly, and spend a lot of time wet sanding and buffing, you'll end up with a finish like that GN. Modern urethane single stage paints are very durable and will hold that finish for a long time.

That said, most clearcoats do offer a more protection against UV than you'll get out of a single stage, are easier to touch up, and give you a deeper color.

Personally, I'd go with single stage if you're using an original color. It'll look much more period correct and it will be just fine for a daily driver. Just make sure to keep it waxed for added protection.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:50 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

black honestly looks better in single stage since it doesnt white scratch, but not in other colors imho
Old 02-03-2008, 09:53 AM
sixt5
2nd Gear Member

go base/clear.

end of discussion