Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rattling Noise from Under Car

Old 08-03-2008, 02:33 AM
kinglasher
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rattling Noise from Under Car

I had a rattle fixed today bu it was just my driver side Boomtube hanger against the bracket. Nothing a grinder to the bracket couldnt fix.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:00 PM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Well, this saga is now over (I think). As I was driving into work this morning, I kicked it into third on the highway (around 72MPH) to pass a slow "fast lane blocker". When I did, I heard the rattle (loud) in the passenger muffler area, a couple more rattles here and there, and "heard" what sounded like something coming out of my tailpipe. It was dark, so I didn't see anything bouncing in the road. I was hoping to find out exactly what it was that caused that loud noise and then traveled the length on my exhaust system. Guess I will never know now - unless I start throwing some emissions codes or something....
Old 08-04-2008, 01:48 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Maybe you busted a cat

Old 08-06-2008, 11:52 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

i know how you feel. i dont want to have to stop when there is people around b/c of the squeeking noise coming from the rear when stopping. only coming from the pass side rear. not sure if it is a loose exhaust pipe or what? brakes are fine, maybe a little warped, but pads are ok. tried treating rear pads. worked for about 24 hrs. then the same noise is back already. bout to become a ford problem. along with the excessive heat coming in around my feet. and checking the fuel pump for proper operation. the whole 12-15 mpg is starting to **** me off
Old 08-06-2008, 12:06 PM
matyellott
1st Gear Member

Same issue
Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 PM
08SmokedAlloy

Well i'm having some noise issues myself but its not a rattling from the cat's or heat shield. It sounds likea suspension/drivetrain problem almost like something in the rear end is about to fall out. I only have this issue after driving for 30 mins or so on the highway and i go to pull into my house. As i enter the slope of my driveway it starts sounding like the whole axle is going to fall off but i cant duplicate it by forcing the suspension up and down by hand or rocking it back and forth. Its an 08 with 8k miles and it has been doing it as far as i can recall since i bought it. I normally drive city and rarely have the issue when i stay off the highway. It only seems to do it after constant highway speed driving and it completely baffles me. I have gone under the rear end wth a rubber mallet and smacked the crap out of everything and nothing seems to be loose. The only noise i get is from the stock panhard bar it sounds like it has sand inside of it when i tap on it.. Honestly don't know if thats normal, if not maybe thats causing an issue. I refuse to take it to ford for them to chase a noise.

Has anyone had problems with the stock panhard bar?

I'm not trying to **** in anybodys cornflakes, but I didn't want to start another thread on a smilar issue.

BTW.I recently put on the STEEDA billet LCA and Sportline springs and checked everything to do with the rear end and it didn't help. The car handles amazing but the noise is a mystery that won't go away.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:47 PM
rockgt302
2nd Gear Member

There is a TSB for a "center stack rattle" which turns out to be the exhaust hangers on the tranny cross member. I was having this noise. I went underneath and banged on the 2 hangers. One rattled, one didnt. I took a band clamp, wrapped it around the hanger and crossmember, tighten it and no more rattle. (For now)
Old 08-06-2008, 02:52 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

here is the link that will tell you what the problem is and how to solve it. just print this out and hand it to the dealer:

https://mustangforums.com/m_3772748/tm.htm
Old 08-06-2008, 02:53 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 08SmokedAlloy

Well i'm having some noise issues myself but its not a rattling from the cat's or heat shield. It sounds likea suspension/drivetrain problem almost like something in the rear end is about to fall out. I only have this issue after driving for 30 mins or so on the highway and i go to pull into my house. As i enter the slope of my driveway it starts sounding like the whole axle is going to fall off but i cant duplicate it by forcing the suspension up and down by hand or rocking it back and forth. Its an 08 with 8k miles and it has been doing it as far as i can recall since i bought it. I normally drive city and rarely have the issue when i stay off the highway. It only seems to do it after constant highway speed driving and it completely baffles me. I have gone under the rear end wth a rubber mallet and smacked the crap out of everything and nothing seems to be loose. The only noise i get is from the stock panhard bar it sounds like it has sand inside of it when i tap on it.. Honestly don't know if thats normal, if not maybe thats causing an issue. I refuse to take it to ford for them to chase a noise.

Has anyone had problems with the stock panhard bar?

I'm not trying to **** in anybodys cornflakes, but I didn't want to start another thread on a smilar issue.

BTW.I recently put on the STEEDA billet LCA and Sportline springs and checked everything to do with the rear end and it didn't help. The car handles amazing but the noise is a mystery that won't go away.

this is the rear strut TSB issue. it is on this site somewhere.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:24 AM
08SmokedAlloy

OK, so it turns out I’m retarded. The panhard bar is full of sand; it’s supposed to be to dampen vibration and noise. Oops. Now as far as the rear end sounding like it’s about to fall apart: I talked to a buddy of mine who is a PA at ford and he asked a few of the techs and they said there is an issue with the diff. It gets hot and some components start to stick and it wont let the diff function correctly it actually makes it lock up occasionally and will basically work like a posi rear end hence the noise (forcing the tires to turn at different speeds) when I pull into my driveway. Sounds reasonable. One of the techs said he would take care of it on a Saturday under warranty so I don’t have to strip it before I take it in.Sincehe's going to crack that sonbitch open regardless he said if I wanted to do gears hewouldtake care of thatfor$50.Can't go wrong there. Anyway if anyone is having similar noises I would maybe try that approach there is a bulletin about it referring to rear end chatter according to the tech, they say the carbon fiber shims inside tend to stick after driving for long periods of time. Well good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattling Noise from Under Car