Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Honest opinion regarding '87-'93 5.0 EFI Swap

Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 AM
sschanz
2nd Gear Member

Default Honest opinion regarding '87-'93 5.0 EFI Swap

I have been going back and forth on doing the 87-93 EFI Swap for my '66. I have read all the forums and tech letters on doing the swap and believe I am well informed. I plan on using an 87-93 5.0 EFI and the AOD transmission from the same car. From what I understand the following must occur:

1. New EFI fuel tank sending unit

2. Shorten the driveshaft to 50" or buy new one

3. New transmission crossmember

4. AOD wiring harness from the 87-93

5. 5.0 wiring harness and computer

6. Relocate battery to the trunk

7. Relocate oil sip stick to new boss location

8. Purchase a AOD shifter kit that allows the AOD to work with my factory shifter

9. Purchase radiator that has the oulet/inlet in the right locations for the EFI

10. Purchase a different gas pedal assembly from a '70 Mustang or newer due to the fact that the engine throttle is on the passenger side versus driver

11. New fuel pump

Does that about cover it? I have been going back and forth a million times on doing this OR purchasing a finely built 302 carb engine. I want the reliability and consistency that the 5.0 EFI will offer. However, before I do all this - I would like the groups opinion on those that have done this.

Did I miss anything on the list above??

Thanks all.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:29 PM
sethalot
2nd Gear Member

>.> is the engine going to be stock cause ive driven stock fox mustangs and if you havent driven anything faster they are amusing but once i got my 69' there was no comparison. its up to you but i would just spend the money used from converting on a little bit nicer engine.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-22-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:32 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I agree with Scott. Add some boost to an injected engine and it makes for a very thrilling ride. Then pop the hood when you stop somewhere and you continue getting attention.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:12 PM
JamesW

I'm sure you've read my webpages on doing this swap so you do have that basics covered. What's missing in these writeups is there there will be NUMEROUS little pieces and parts that you'll come up upon and will either need to get or make a work around.

That being said... fuel injection is a great alternative. I'll never go back to carbs
Old 01-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesW
That being said... fuel injection is a great alternative. I'll never go back to carbs
Me either, having installed a retrofit multiport kit to a SBC.

With respect to #1, you'll still have the issue of fuel sloshing away from the pickup unless you add some baffling along with the different pickup. Or you can feed a separate little tank that's deep but not very wide in either horizontal direction. Keep that full with a low pressure high capacity pump and let the EFI pump draw from the bottom of it.

An inertia switch to kill power to your pump(s) in the event of an accident is strongly recommended.

Norm
Old 01-22-2009, 08:20 AM
sschanz
2nd Gear Member

As always thanks guys for the input. Why is this decision so hard for me? I have not had a carb engine in 20 years and just for some reason believe that it won't be as reliable and consistent as a newer EFI would be.

I am not too concerned about speed, though fast is NICE! All I want is never to worry about if I turn the key, will it start? Or having to worry about flooding the engine, warm or cold start ups, etc. I just want to drive!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:00 AM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

Those are the exact reasons I originally went with EFI. The blower was an after thought.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:18 PM
JERM_1967stang
2nd Gear Member

sorry to write of on someones thread but i was also wanting to do the swap and i have read James W's site over and over again. but how hard would it be to just retro fit a fox bodys tank into the car or do they sell the special pickup?? i know with EFI you need more pressure but why would you need a new pickup/ sending unit? also you gotta think about the time it will take to do the install and mock up of everything. this isnt for you if your mustang is your DD cause this wont be completed over the weekend
Old 01-22-2009, 06:44 PM
JamesW

Two common options are, as said, to use a holding tank like I did, or to modify a stock tank to insert a fox style in tank pump. They are both about the same level of effort to develop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honest opinion regarding '87-'93 5.0 EFI Swap