V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2000 3.8L fuel pump prob

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:46 AM
razman

Default 2000 3.8L fuel pump prob

trying to get my sons 2000 mustang started again after sitting for almost two years........he died after an accident in 07' and we haven't touched the car for quite awhile. anyway, the car cranks over nicely, but no fire whatsoever. i pulled the fuel line and turned it over, and we have no fuel. i can't hear anything coming from the fuel pump when the key is turned on. i suspect either the fuel pump or the relay. the fuel pump was replaced in this car right before his accident (about 2 years ago) so i am assuming that the fuel pump is ok, and maybe it is the relay. i checked the inertia switch and the fuel pump fuse, both are ok.......any ideas on how to proceed? i have conflicting reports regarding the fuel pump relay, i have heard that is part of the CCRM and i have also heard that it is a seperate relay located somewhere under the dash. anyone have any experience with this situation? thanks in advance for any input, rick
Old 04-27-2009, 01:47 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

I'd probe the harness to see if you are getting power to the pump first. If it's been sitting that long the pump IS most likely out due to varnish build up. You may also want to go ahead and replace the fuel filter.

Testing the pump isn't too hard, but I'd buy a haynes/chiltons manual so you can see how to remove it. Once it's out, just put 12v to it and see if anything happens. If it works then you've got to look somewhere else. I doubt it will work though.

You'll never find a fuel pump relay. Mustangs have an FPDM (fuel pump driver module)

Last edited by RyansQuick6; 04-27-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:49 PM
razman

thanks ryan, does that FPDM have a relay in it that can be replaced? i went to the local ford dealer today, and they sold me a "fuel pump relay" for my car. 16 bucks....looks like most other relays that just plug in, but the dealer had no idea where to find it on my car.

do i have to pull the fuel pump to determine whether or not it is working? can i check power to it with a light? where does it plug it at?

someone else told me that the only fuel pump relay is incorporated into the CCRM, which is a module that contains several other relays, and cant' be serviced. you have to replace the whole thing if it goes bad. ford dealer told me that they sale those for about 215bucks!

any ideas on how to proceed? thanks, rick
Old 04-27-2009, 07:32 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

What they sold you was the relay that goes under the hood that controls the FPDM. Yeah you can check power to it with a test light. You have 4 wires going to it. 2 for the pump, 2 for the level sender. The 2 for the level sender will send an ohm load, and the other 2 with be 12v and ground for the pump.

You can also try to just snag the fuel filter and test the pump that way, but if it works you're gonna have a puddle of fuel under the car.

The CCRM doesn't fail, its failure rate is too rare to even consider until every other part has been checked and verified. It has to be either submerged or impacted to go bad. You did mention that the car had been sitting, and tehre is room between the body and the tank for small animals to tuck away and chew the wires, so it may just be in your best interest to drop the tank.

A new pump is cheap too, even the badass SVT Focus pump is only $100.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:07 PM
razman

thanks again ryan......i think i will just drop the tank, and change out the fuel pump. that's probably whats wrong, and it wouldn't hurt to clean that old fuel out of the tank anyway.

you say that the relay that they sold me for the FPDM goes under the hood, do you know where it is located? because it is quite a bit bigger than any relay that is in my fuse/relay box under the hood, so i'm guessing it doesn't go there. rick
Old 04-27-2009, 09:12 PM
razman

one other question, (while i'm at it) where is the best place to get a good replacement fuel pump for a fair price. what pump would you reccomend? i'm assuming the dealership wouldn't be the best place to shop.......rick
Old 04-27-2009, 09:43 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Honestly any stock replacement pump will do fine unless you plan to mod the car out. If you want to upgrade, pretty much every site sponsor has the focus pump for the same price.

Post a pic of what they sold you and I can tell you where it goes.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:54 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

+1 on the fuel pump. i just had the same problem on a rebuilder taurus. it sat for 2 years and the fuel went bad and gummed up the pump. cleaned out the tank and replaced the pump and filter = runs like a champ.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 PM
razman

thanks guys.......i'm definitely gonna drop the tank, and replace the fuel pump and fuel filter also. i'll try to get a pic of the relay posted, but it is just standard relay that they said is for the fuel pump, but the same relay is also used in several other applications throughout the car for other equip. it is prob about 2" tall and about 1" square.....too big to go into the fuse/relay box. so i'm not sure where it goes. thanks again, rick
Old 05-17-2022, 02:23 AM
Rubixcube88

Originally Posted by razman
trying to get my sons 2000 mustang started again after sitting for almost two years........he died after an accident in 07' and we haven't touched the car for quite awhile. anyway, the car cranks over nicely, but no fire whatsoever. i pulled the fuel line and turned it over, and we have no fuel. i can't hear anything coming from the fuel pump when the key is turned on. i suspect either the fuel pump or the relay. the fuel pump was replaced in this car right before his accident (about 2 years ago) so i am assuming that the fuel pump is ok, and maybe it is the relay. i checked the inertia switch and the fuel pump fuse, both are ok.......any ideas on how to proceed? i have conflicting reports regarding the fuel pump relay, i have heard that is part of the CCRM and i have also heard that it is a seperate relay located somewhere under the dash. anyone have any experience with this situation? thanks in advance for any input, rick

Response : i am having the same problem with my mustang i dont know what else to do im thinking the fuel like is clogged some where idk