Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 05:03 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

I paid $100 a door for suede replacement in Louisiana. I tried the DIY, soaked the carpet, put some on the back of the vinyl, let it tack, stuck it. It didn't stay stuck permanently but even when it was pressed down smooth against the backing there was definitely a wavy pattern to the vinyl.

The way the guy at the upholstery place explained it to me, that carpet backing isn't flat to begin with, hence the reason Ford uses the foamy glue.

Personally, I like the suede better than I do the vinyl now that I've had it done and it was well worth $100 a door. Only thing I regret is not getting some ultrasuede instead of regular suede. I've got a couch made of tan ultrasuede and it's super comfy even though it's synthetic.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:23 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

I didn't know this was such a huge problem on '05 to '09 Mustangs with the IUP. I owned a 2006(bought new) until 2011 and it never had any such issues and I now have a 2009(with 33,000 miles) and it has no issues what so ever with the insert ungluing itself. I live in SoCal, so it's plenty sunny and hot here too. I wonder if it has to do with using car care products to wipe the panels(i.e. Armorall type stuff), cuz I never use chemicals on my interior other than leather treatment for the steering wheel and seat surfaces. I just use mild soap and warm water on a microfiber towel to wipe down my interior. Although my cars have been garaged at work during my shift since starting there in 2000. Probably a combination of both.....
Old 05-09-2014, 05:25 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05gtdriver
I didn't know this was such a huge problem on '05 to '09 Mustangs with the IUP. I owned a 2006(bought new) until 2011 and it never had any such issues and I now have a 2009(with 33,000 miles) and it has no issues what so ever with the insert ungluing itself. I live in SoCal, so it's plenty sunny and hot here too. I wonder if it has to do with using car care products to wipe the panels(i.e. Armorall type stuff), cuz I never use chemicals on my interior other than leather treatment for the steering wheel and seat surfaces. I just use mild soap and warm water on a microfiber towel to wipe down my interior. Although my cars have been garaged at work during my shift since starting there in 2000. Probably a combination of both.....
Hmmm... an interesting theory. I've never used anything but soap and water on mine... though I can't say what the previous owner may have used. Sunlight a factor? Maybe... in that case though... I have to wonder as my windows are tinted extremely dark. Don't know what the "number" of the tint is, all I know is I used to get crap for it in NJ and PA (car came from NY).

Here's a thought.... I had the Mach whatever stereo system in the car... it was replaced with aftermarket when I procured the vehicle... but the subs in the door do kick butt. Is it possible that the vibration may be a factor?

Seems extremely far fetched... but one never knows!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:22 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

My current '08 Vert with 20,000 miles has the problem. The original owner kept it in a garage and it saw nothing but sunshine in northern Florida. Says he used nothing on the panels. They are getting looser each time I drive it now....especially the drivers side but it has not pealed yet. I do like a bit of base in my music. It is going in the end of this month to a local upholsterer that did my daughters '09.

I really think it is just a crappy design that Ford failed on.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:36 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Mine has just finally started to bubble on the middle of the panel. Car sits covered in the garage 95% of the time.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Exley

Did the fix today on the driver side of my 07. I'll let everyone know how if it holds up. Looks amazing right now. I keep going out and smoothing the panel down as the cement dries. Instructions say it takes 7 days to cure
Old 06-16-2014, 04:51 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Good deal. I did the driver side on mine quite some time ago and it's still perfect. The passenger side is beginning to sag... so, I suppose I'll be doing that one soon enough. As it were, I've got clutch issues.... or more to the point, clutch LINKAGE issues that are just a bit higher on the list of priorities.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...emergency.html
Old 06-23-2014, 05:12 AM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Did this repair over the weekend on my 2005. I would recommend taking the door panel off to do the repair, just easier to work with and will come out better. Scrap the old material off and then shop vac the panel if you have one to get all the loose stuff out. Apply the glue like above and put vinyl in place and smooth out. Then lay a towel over the vinyl with some heavy can goods on their side or something of the sort to help hold the vinyl flat to the door panel while drying. Then let sit in the house over night to 24 hours and then put it back on the car. Should last longer that way because you aren't fighting gravity for the glue to dry.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:16 PM
S.SubZero
1st Gear Member

I'm going through this now. On my 2005, the driver side pretty much failed all at once, in the span of two days it lost so much cohesion it fell over while I was driving.

I found trying to glue the vinyl directly to the door was not doing the job, it would quickly give up and fall away. In my case, I used an intermediary material, an old thick t-shirt. I cut it into patches and glued it to the back of the vinyl, which stuck really well, then glued that to the door. So far after two weeks it's holding strong. I didn't come close enough to the edges, so they ended up coming out, but I am going to see about fixing that. I'm just not crazy about trying to work that spray glue again. Makes my car smell. @.@
Old 07-07-2014, 10:50 AM
teepee542
2nd Gear Member

My passenger door did the same thing last week. went from normal to completely off in 2 days. paid $85 per side and had them both fixed.

Quick Reply: Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**