Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my exhaust smells like farts.... thoughts???

Old 08-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Default my exhaust smells like farts.... thoughts???

well, i did a search for this, and found kind of a mix of answers. in my case, i've got an '05 gt, with 18,000 miles.

my thoughts at first were bad cats, but some of the other threads i've found had someone with the same problem, and they had ~25k miles on their car; and everyone thought that was pretty low mileage for bad cats. (maybe there is a hole in one, or both, of them)

next, i figured bad gas. since day one of ownership, i've gotten my gas at quiktrip; if there is anyone who hasn't heard of them, they are pretty much the biggest gas station.... place in the kansas city and surrounding areas, so i am pretty sure they use a decent quality of gas (plus, my parents and grandparents fill up there and i've never noticed the smell in their cars).

then i read that some people suggested going wot to help 'clear' the cats out. well, i frequently go wot, so they 'should' be clear

so... i've kind of ruled out the three major possibilities (even though one of the three could still be the problem). the sulfur/fart smell is present from the first time i turn the key until i shut her off. or, maybe it's normal and i just have to live with it

any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated (i'm not too fond of holding my breath while driving )

cliff notes: my car's exhaust smells like farts... why?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Vectorpat
2nd Gear Member

Maybe your farts smell like exhaust, JK. Do you have a tune on the car sometimes this can effect it. Different fuels can have different smells also. Maybe try another brand and see if it changes.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:43 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

Maybe it IS your farts.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:11 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Its normal, before I got the o/r prochamber mine smelled like eggs/sulfer. Just loose the cats, it will sound better and smell better
Old 08-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Originally Posted by Vectorpat
Maybe your farts smell like exhaust, JK. Do you have a tune on the car sometimes this can effect it. Different fuels can have different smells also. Maybe try another brand and see if it changes.
Originally Posted by domindart
Maybe it IS your farts.

har har har, guys (i knew i'd get responses like this)

anywho, i don't have a tune (yet) and as far as the brand goes, do you suppose it could just effect one vehicle (since my parents use the same brand and don't have any problems)

Originally Posted by mynameismike65
Its normal, before I got the o/r prochamber mine smelled like eggs/sulfer. Just loose the cats, it will sound better and smell better
do you suppose hi-flow cats would have the same effect (i don't really want the 'uber'-loud exhaust the o/r setups can have).

oh, and on a side note, i have gta exhaust

Last edited by Xeno; 08-20-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:27 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

I have noticed the exact same thing, but only at certian times I haven't been able to notice a pattern or rmp range for the problem yet. I always use Shell V powah gas. I noticed an exhaust leak right under the cabin, where my mufflers are, so I tightened up the clips and that seemed to help alot, cut down on the smell prolly 80% but I've still smelled it like once or twice since then. So that might help, smoke your pipes just to b sure, also check your cai/airbox for leaks I had one on my cai so that might have been a cause too...filer fell off, fuxing K&N that's the 2nd time I think I need to sea foam
Old 08-20-2009, 01:36 PM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

Actually it's your UPPER lip......j/k
Old 08-20-2009, 02:32 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

If it smells a little like rotton eggs.. it may be the sulfur content in the gas you are using. You can't rule out bad gas until you try a different brand.

Try Shell or BP.. Shell is the best quality in the STL area... maybe yours too. The gas itself is usually the same across brands.. but Shell, BP, etc.. have higher quality additives that are mixed in at the refinery.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I have seen and used a product to clean catalitic converters. Be worth a shot. I got it at an auto parts place. You just pour it in your tank.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You haven't thought about fouled O2 sensors. Sensors that are carbonized from running rich can cause false readings to be given to the PCM. Over time this will saturate the Cats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my exhaust smells like farts.... thoughts???