Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Cutting rear bumper for dual exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Ponyboy289

Default Cutting rear bumper for dual exhaust?

This Saturday I will be installing the Pypes SFM65 dual exhaust system on my '06. For mufflers, I'll be installing a set of GT take-offs. If anyone else has done this, what did you use to cut the rear bumper fascia for the driver's side exhaust tip? I've got the cutting template from Pypes, but it does not have any suggestions for what tool to use. I was thinking of using a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. Anyone got any suggestions?
Old 09-03-2009, 03:21 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ponyboy289
This Saturday I will be installing the Pypes SFM65 dual exhaust system on my '06. For mufflers, I'll be installing a set of GT take-offs. If anyone else has done this, what did you use to cut the rear bumper fascia for the driver's side exhaust tip? I've got the cutting template from Pypes, but it does not have any suggestions for what tool to use. I was thinking of using a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. Anyone got any suggestions?
Before I got my GT bumper, we used a pneumatic body saw. Pro tip, use some blue painters tape to tape the entire area that you will be cutting. this will help prevent the paint from getting chipped. I have a v6 bumper that is already cut that would need to be painted to match!
Old 09-03-2009, 03:38 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

a HOT WIRE

stretched inbetween a homemade 2x4 framework.
Heat the wire with a battery charger and heat
your way thro the bumper cover.
Then a wine bottle with some sandpaper
round it will clean the edge right up....
Old 09-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Ponyboy289

Originally Posted by jtstakelin
Before I got my GT bumper, we used a pneumatic body saw. Pro tip, use some blue painters tape to tape the entire area that you will be cutting. this will help prevent the paint from getting chipped. I have a v6 bumper that is already cut that would need to be painted to match!
Thanks for the tip! I was thinking about the blue painter's tape also, just to keep the paint from getting scratched or flaking on the edge of the cut.

My apologies to all the regulars for posting this question. I just did a more thorough search of the site and I see where this topic is a beaten dead horse. From what I've read, it sounds like the Dremel will work fine. Now I've just got try and keep a steady hand while I saw into a $20,000 plus automobile with a tool I bought at Wal-Mart.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
a HOT WIRE

stretched inbetween a homemade 2x4 framework.
Heat the wire with a battery charger and heat
your way thro the bumper cover.
Then a wine bottle with some sandpaper
round it will clean the edge right up....
Thats a good idea, I never thought of that. Sounds a little McGiver, but I'm sure it would work really good.

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking about the blue painter's tape also, just to keep the paint from getting scratched or flaking on the edge of the cut.

My apologies to all the regulars for posting this question. I just did a more thorough search of the site and I see where this topic is a beaten dead horse. From what I've read, it sounds like the Dremel will work fine. Now I've just got try and keep a steady hand while I saw into a $20,000 plus automobile with a tool I bought at Wal-Mart.
Good luck, have a shot of Jack first to steady your hand!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:15 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I used a dremel with a a tiny drill bit for steel. Go slow with the dremel, the plastic is really thin and the dremel will slice right thru it. And yeah, steady your hand and don't take your eyes off the cut.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:52 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Don't forget the template: http://pysales.com/inst/SFM68-69-bumper-cutout02.pdf
Granted you did buy it from pypes, but I don't know if they just ship this to you with your product
Old 09-04-2009, 10:23 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

I traced the cut-out onto the painters tape applied to that side. Then I used a razor blade to rough cut the hole close to the line. Finally, I wrapped sandpaper around a full soda can and rotated the can back & forth. It worked great. Just don't slip and cut too far.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:06 AM
HoorayBeer
2nd Gear Member

dual exhaust will look great. good luck
Old 09-05-2009, 08:39 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

This Saturday I will be installing the Pypes SFM65 dual exhaust system on my '06. I've got the cutting template from Pypes,
Originally Posted by staggolee
Don't forget the template: Granted you did buy it from pypes, but I don't know if they just ship this to you with your product
I think they shipped him a template

Quick Reply: Cutting rear bumper for dual exhaust?