Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

car stalls immediately when put into gear/reverse

Old 10-02-2009, 03:22 PM
69RunningHorse

Default car stalls immediately when put into gear/reverse

Car is a 69 Mustang, 5.0 HO roller, C4 tranny, holley 4412 500cfm 2bbl, accel coil, pertronix flame thrower dizzy, GT-40 heads with open hooker long tube headers. Wires are good, plugs are brand new. As soon as the car warms up we go to put it in gear and as soon as the gear engages reverse or d it stalls out. just kinda sputters and, dead. i have the car up in the air right now and it does the same thing, if i lightly tap the gas right before/as im putting the gear in it does fine, it goes thru all the gears fine. automatically and manually. the car sat for a while in pieces but before i put it back in i cleaned up the tranny and drained the TC swapped the filter and put a new gasket in. once we got the car running we filled the tranny back up and thought everything was kosher. anyone got any ideas? i got a new pcv in there just this week and still the same.... a couple ideas i got was maybe that the kickdown might be stuck back since i dont have the lever in and that the carb i got has no real way to adjust the choke.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:52 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

sounds like it needs more timing advance
Old 10-02-2009, 04:05 PM
JDraper
2nd Gear Member

Could be a Torque Converter issue. If it's locking up way to early, then it would cause the car to stall out immediately.

When you do give it a little gas as it goes into gear, does it jerk off the line immediately or does the TC do it's job.

One other thing, what is your warm idle rpm set at?
Old 10-02-2009, 04:34 PM
69RunningHorse

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
sounds like it needs more timing advance
which way do i set that Clockwise or counter?

Originally Posted by JDraper
Could be a Torque Converter issue. If it's locking up way to early, then it would cause the car to stall out immediately.

When you do give it a little gas as it goes into gear, does it jerk off the line immediately or does the TC do it's job.

One other thing, what is your warm idle rpm set at?
well the one time i was actually able to get it out of the driveway it had my foot half way in the gas so 2500-3k rpms did a small chirp almost died then sputtered along to 45. the idle according to my electronic timing gun is around 560-550 rpms per the sticker on the valves..... oh crap, i think it needs to be higher due to it being out of a newer car.... and the timing to that of a 95 gt...
Old 10-02-2009, 04:56 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

buddy with a pickup has the same problem. I'll keep watching the thread. was never able to fix it.
in our case it doesn't happen all the time. more when the car is warm (at least 15 mins idling). you put it into gear and in most cases it would jerk into gear and stall
Old 10-02-2009, 08:13 PM
69RunningHorse

anyone?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:27 PM
69RunningHorse

Originally Posted by 69RunningHorse
which way do i set that Clockwise or counter?

well the one time i was actually able to get it out of the driveway it had my foot half way in the gas so 2500-3k rpms did a small chirp almost died then sputtered along to 45. the idle according to my electronic timing gun is around 560-550 rpms per the sticker on the valves..... oh crap, i think it needs to be higher due to it being out of a newer car.... and the timing to that of a 95 gt...
well i set the idle to 900-1k rpms and it still dies... we played with the ported vacuum switch hoses and still noting, i moved the pcv hose from the back of the carb spacer to the back of the carb, nothing. checked to see if maybe the tranny kick down might have been stuck, nope. moved the timing to 16* due to running 91 octane, nope, nothing....i'm losing my mind here....
Old 10-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

soo as soon as the engine gets put under load it stalls out?? Try putting the back up and put it in drive or reverse and see if you can like hand spin it or something. I do not know a lot about this but wouldn't that tell you where the problem lies? would have to be the transmission I would think
Old 10-03-2009, 12:51 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like a tranny problem to me.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:39 AM
JDraper
2nd Gear Member

I'm assuming that the engine runs and revs up fine in neutral and park. If so, your symptoms are really pointing to your torque converter. The TC is basically a clutch for your automatic. If it's locking up immediately, it's like popping the clutch at idle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: car stalls immediately when put into gear/reverse