Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Step by Step guide to installing a Mark VIII motor in a 96+ GT.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:26 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by supercotufa
Great write up. You summarized most of the answers I was looking for.
I am looking at a 93 Mark VIII Teksid engine with the old style intake and 128K miles.
1) Does the IMRC work with vacuum controls, and if so, does it work automatically without the ECC intervention?
2) Will the throttle body type and location be compatible with a 98 GT?
No, the IMRC's are electronic. best just to delete them, or use some wire and wire them open (turn the imrc from the outside and use a piece of wire to keep it open)

Are you talking about using the old style intake? the one from the 93? No, that intake will not fit in the car. You need a 97-98 Mark VIII intake, or 96-98 Cobra intake for it to work. Or you will need to upgrade to C heads and use a 99/01 cobra intake or maybe a 03-04 eaton.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:21 AM
supercotufa

Thank you so much!
Certainly is very good information which will save me tons of work and headaches. I was planning to get this engine, preassemble the whole power plant (transmission and all) and drop the setup in using a hoist.

On regards to leaving the IMRs in place: how does the RPM window switch work?
Is there any setup that would allow me to connect it to the existing systems in the ECC unit and wiring, or should it be something added as a kiosk standalone setup, with a sensor to the crank?
I would like to keep torque and daily drivability on my car (actually it is now my 6-month old son's car! I am just borrowing it for the time being and improving it until he gets to responsible driving age)
Old 03-25-2014, 10:44 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by supercotufa
Thank you so much!
Certainly is very good information which will save me tons of work and headaches. I was planning to get this engine, preassemble the whole power plant (transmission and all) and drop the setup in using a hoist.

On regards to leaving the IMRs in place: how does the RPM window switch work?
Is there any setup that would allow me to connect it to the existing systems in the ECC unit and wiring, or should it be something added as a kiosk standalone setup, with a sensor to the crank?
I would like to keep torque and daily drivability on my car (actually it is now my 6-month old son's car! I am just borrowing it for the time being and improving it until he gets to responsible driving age)
You can def drop it in with trans attached. imo its easier that way.

the IMRC's can be wired in, but it's more trouble than its worth. If you have 3.73's or 4.10's, you wont even notice that the've been deleted/held open. I have them this way and have no issues with driving the car daily during the summer. Heck, even with stock gearing you probably wont notice a difference.

this is the 93 intake on the motor while in the car. it is pushed back as far as it will go, and you can see the front part of the intake covers where the crossover tube would go
Name:  IMG_1174.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  130.5 KB

you'd have to cut out a whole lot to make it slide back the required 4-5 inches you'd need.
Name:  IMG_1178.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  128.0 KB

You can see the difference of the mark viii intakes. The one on the left is the early model, and the one on the right is the 97-98, the one that WILL work with this swap. If you need one let me know.
Name:  IMG_1489.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  116.8 KB
Old 03-25-2014, 10:47 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

you will also need the 97-98 mark viii IMRC's or the 96-98 cobra IMRC's. The plate from the 93-96 mark viii intake will not work.

will NOT work
Name:  IMG_1936.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  115.8 KB

what you need to make it work
Name:  IMG_1313.jpg
Views: 5335
Size:  80.4 KB
Old 03-25-2014, 06:55 PM
supercotufa

Thank you.
Do you know much the 97-98 Mark VIII intake, throttle body, intake boot and IMR plates run for?
(I am not even going to ask for a Cobra intake, which most likely will cost as much as a whole MK VIII Teksid engine!)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:00 PM
supercotufa

I mean IMRC plates
Old 03-26-2014, 07:07 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

If you can find a full Mark viii intake with the upper and lower plenums AND the throttle body, you're looking at around $300. I'd sell you mine for $200 if you wanted it, its the one in the picture.

The IMRC plates are around $100 if you can find em.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:45 PM
supercotufa

I still haven't bough an engine. If I get a 96 or earlier engine I will certainly buy the parts. They are reasonably priced and even lower than what I paid back in the day for the PI intake that I have.Thank you.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:24 AM
supercotufa

Default 97 MK VIII engine

I just bought a 97 MK VIII engine at a very low price!

The catches:
1) I do not know if it runs
2) Had to drive for three hours to get to the engine
3) The engine had the valve covers removed, as well as the upper intake, so bolts are missing and water got inside
4) Had to remove it from the car which was parked on soggy dirt with a hoist from the seller, with little tools (I had a neurological flatulence and forgot my tools at home)

Needless to say it was an ordeal, and at the end of a five-hour struggle with the help from the seller I was finally able to load it on my truck.

It came with all the accessories, connections, intake tube, filter housing with MAF (I don't know if I will be able to retrofit it, and most likely will get a 96-98 Cobra one, wire harness and ECC), and the throttle body cables, wiring and vacuum lines.

Now the ordeal begins:
First thing I noticed is the type of alternator: the one on the Mark VIII has one two-wire plug, and the battery connector. My GT has the battery connection, a three-wire plug with the center wire going to another plug in the body of the alternator. Besides the fact that the one on the GT is larger.
Question: does anyone know what I need to do to retrofit this alternator, or should I get a different one?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

if you havn't seen this thread yet, please go read through it. A lot of information and should answer a LOT of your questions. http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ap-thread.html

the mark alternator will work, I had a three wire plug, and the third wire was its own single wire connector, i just cut that off and plugged it in. you are also able to buy the correct plug for the alternator and just need to do some soldering. once you look at the two alternators side by side, you will see why the mark one appears to be smaller. was the coolant crossover tube still on the motor also?

also, you can use your GT maf and filter housing instead of trying to retrofit the mark ones, just get a cobra intake tube. you dont need the mark wire harness, just re-use your GT harness. you will need a 96-98 cobra throttle cable if you plan on using a 96-98 cobra intake. if you use the 97-98 mark intake, you will need a 99/01 cobra throttle cable. The mark viii stuff won't work. I would make all your own vacuum lines and delete the EGr and air pump if it has it.

Last edited by BlackMage; 04-02-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Step by Step guide to installing a Mark VIII motor in a 96+ GT.