Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between SuperChargers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:21 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Default Difference between SuperChargers?

I'm positive this must have been talked about before on here... but try figuring out what to search for, I couldn't...

What is the difference between a twin screw supercharger, and the type of SC that looks more like a typical turbo, mounting on the front of your block, near all the other accessories. The style shown in the link below. (Sorry, dunno what its called.)

http://www.brenspeed.com/v3vortech.html

Edit: After some clarification, the question becomes: What is the pros/cons of Roots style vs. Centrifugal style?

Last edited by VRFlip; 01-20-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

check out procharger, they make an intercooled supercharger...i've heard lots of great things about them, plus the f-1a can put out over 700 horsepower with a built engine
Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

plus i just noticed you live in st. louis and they are based in kansas, it'd be a 4 hour drive for you
Old 01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies, but I'm asking about the pros/cons or differences between types of SCs. Twinscrew vs. whatever that other type is called that I linked.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

The word I believe you're looking for is Centrifugal Supercharger.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

Positive Displacement Superchargers (i.e. Roots, Twin Screw) are typically attributed to having instant power gains right off idle all the way through to redline, as well as a nice flat torque curve. Centrifugal Superchargers (i.e. Vortech, Paxton, Procharger) are attributed with a rising boost level that is in direct relationship to rising RPM of the engine, which gives it a more sloped torque curve, and in effect less off idle power available. I like both and I think when I get blown it will be more about cost than any particular specific form of supercharger, as all the intercooled kits are more than capable of bringing our 3v to its stock power output threshold of ~450 RWHP.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:49 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

it comes down to where you want the power to be
instant off the line= TS
higher rpms, and more economical= centri
Old 01-20-2010, 11:02 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Centris might be a little more economical but if you drive two similar cars, one with a centri and one with a Twin screw, you'll swear the Twin setup has twice the power.
The seat of the pants feeling is far more impressive with a twin screw due to the gobs of torque which flows.
I drove a friends Vortech centri powered GT on the road course last year and I was screaming a the car coming out of mid/low speed corners - "COME ON COME ON", God I hated it, you have to keep the revs up the whole time. That's ok in a Vtec Honda but FFS these are 4.6V8's you just don't want to do it to them.

For the street though a Centri does have advantages, the car remains docile during 'normal' driving and I love the Centri whistle it does at idle.....
Old 01-20-2010, 11:29 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Thank you all very much.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:45 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

vrflip, just give brenspeed a call, they'll answer any questions you may have. If your in the Saint Charles area visit the Lot, it's a church sponsored gathering of hot-rods of the greater saint louis area that is quite impressive. It's held the 3rd sat. of each month from May thru Sept. or Oct. There's usually 400 to 500 hot-rods at any given event. Have you done any mods yet?

Quick Reply: Difference between SuperChargers?