Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Weight reduction on the new 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Default Weight reduction on the new 5.0

So these cars have been out for a while now. When I owned my 06GT I shaved nearly 3 tenths off my car with just weight reduction. That kinda weight loss on the the new 5.0 would net ultra low 12s for people. With a set of sticky tires & good driver mod even high 11s I would think without doing ANYTHING to the motor! So what is being done to put these beasts on diets? I would like to hear what folks are finding! Im about to pick one of these cars up finally.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Dewyrussler
1st Gear Member

No personal experience yet (still waiting to take delivery of mine)...but there are several folks saving weight by switching to an aluminum driveshaft. If you have a full size spare and have good road side assistance, you would ditch the spare and jack...that saves quite a bit. There was one thread where someone was using the back seat deletion kit which saves some weight. I'm sure there are other places to reduce weight...but those came to mind right away. Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dewyrussler
...there are several folks saving weight by switching to an aluminum driveshaft. If you have a full size spare and have good road side assistance, you would ditch the spare and jack...that saves quite a bit. There was one thread where someone was using the back seat deletion kit which saves some weight...
These are just a few of the typical weight saving methods from the 05-10's and I'm sure the OP has done those and then some to his '06 in order to shave those 3 tenths. But it depends on how extreme you want to get and if the car will be a DD or track car. Guys were dumping their A/C components, replacing and relocating the battery, removing some structural and suspension components, removing the passenger seat, going with ultra light wheels etc. If I recall, there was a thread about a year or so back and the total weight loss or the target loss may have been 500 lbs. It's been awhile...
Old 01-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I did all the regular weight loss to my 06GT(read sig). Was wanting to know where some dead weight is at. Every car has some, just finding it is the ordeal. like on my 06 I found nearly 300lbs total without touching interior. If folks could please list their weight reductions with weight lost I would be grateful! So how much does the tire & jack weigh, how much weight loss do ya get from the alum d-s & back seat delete kit will save how much?? Just nwanting to see where this is all gonna add up!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:16 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Put on your seatbelt before reading the weight reduction here and here.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsnyng
That's extreme weight loss for one extreme ride.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Dewyrussler
1st Gear Member

The aluminum driveshaft that AM sells advertises that it's 28lbs lighter than stock. I'm not sure on the spare tire and jack because I don't have my car yet to weigh them...but I know the spare and jack in my 1983 GT weighs at least 30lbs. The rear seat delete saves 40lbs. Just those things will reduce you by about a tenth in the 1/4. Oh, I know the billet lower control arms are lighter than the stamped steel stockers...the UPR ones advertise 8lbs ligher.

Last edited by Dewyrussler; 01-31-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Interesting links jsnyng but Im not looking to swap a new coyote motor into an s197 & the weight reduction was for an s197 as well. But Thanks! Thanks Dewyrussler for the info. Im interested to see where this is gonna go.

Last edited by Norse1974; 01-31-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by jsnyng
Links no worky

I'm not a member and can't read a thing.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:27 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norse1974
So these cars have been out for a while now. When I owned my 06GT I shaved nearly 3 tenths off my car with just weight reduction. That kinda weight loss on the the new 5.0 would net ultra low 12s for people. With a set of sticky tires & good driver mod even high 11s I would think without doing ANYTHING to the motor! So what is being done to put these beasts on diets? I would like to hear what folks are finding! Im about to pick one of these cars up finally.
Aside from what you have already done, which according to your description, is pretty extensive, there isn't much more to do without spending same big time $$$$.

I saw a completely carbon fiber driveshaft, about 19 lbf total weight, but it goes for just under $2000. There is a back seat delete kit, or hell, if you don't mind looking at bare metal behind you, just remove the seat altogether.
And while removing seats, the passenger side front seat can go too.

If you could care less about the radio, dump that and the speakers.

AC? The AC compressor, accumulator, AC plumbing, and even the dash ventworks can go.

These are all I can think of right now.

Oh, you can save a little more too, don't wear shoes and socks, or even clothes. Don't eat 24hrs before you drive, and make sure you take a wiz and a dump before you get into your car. LOL

Quick Reply: Weight reduction on the new 5.0