Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Newb looking for some feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:11 PM
modman42
2nd Gear Member

Default Newb looking for some feedback.

First off, i am new to the forum and really enjoy it so greetings to all.

I am looking for my mid life crisis car and have found a 2008 GT/CS black on black coupe with a five speed. It has low miles and is a one owner car. My question is should I be looking at anything in particular as far as wear or maintenance when purchasing these cars used. Really excited to buy my first Mustang.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. You joined a good Mustang forum community. The 2008 and newer Mustangs don't really have any kinks to speak of. As with all cars check for accidents, maintenance records, and test drive the car. Do your best to make sure that it wasn't beat on in the past. Buying from the original owner helps to determine if the car was abused. Listen for odd noises/vibrations in the powertrain. If you want to; post the info about the car/price your buying and many people will help with good advice. I attached some information for you to review. It covers maintenance schedule and a lot of "How To" information. Good luck with your purchase

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...intenance.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...tech-info.html

Last edited by daredevil95; 03-06-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:25 PM
modman42
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info Daredevil. I will ask the sales rep. (local dealer) about maintenance records. The car looks pretty solid and well cared for unfortunately the area I live in is under alot of snow and ice and a test drive on summer tires isn't possible. Good news is it probably won't sell until the roads clear up. It has 50000 kms and the want $19000 canadian, I have not found abetter price in this area for a 2008.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:27 PM
yanks1
1st Gear Member

I echo same comments as above... just do a normal check as any other vehicle. I purchased an '08 GT Vert in October and haven't noticed anything unusal w/these cars. One thing that can help, check the original in-service date and if its later than Match-2008, you'll still have time left on the 3 year warranty. But even if that has passed, you'll still have 2 yrs remaining on the 5 year/60k powertrain warranty which is peace of mind for any major repairs. Best of luck & hopefully welcome to a new Mustang real soon
Old 03-08-2011, 06:36 PM
modman42
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice all. If the weather holds up I should be able to test drive in 2 weeks. looking forward to it!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by modman42
It has 50000 kms and the want $19000 canadian, I have not found abetter price in this area for a 2008.
I mean, is that good deal? I lack the skillz to convert that much info at one time.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Big_T_Judge
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by modman42
Thanks for the advice all. If the weather holds up I should be able to test drive in 2 weeks. looking forward to it!
No matter what.....DO NOT buy without a thorough test drive, and be a little hard on it when you drive it (that's what these cars are made for after all). Open up the throttle a few times, get it up to 80 mph (about 145 kph) or so, and do a couple good "brake checks". Most of the time, if there are any problems/issues, they'll at least stand out under duress. That's my best advice to you as doing this has saved me from a couple "good deals," that had issues with the brakes (do your "brake checks") and either a suspension or CV joint issue (became very noticeable under hard acceleration). Either way, you win with an enthusiastic test drive....The car is either good to go, or you found a potential problem, saving yourself money, and at least had some fun beating on the car a little bit. Best of luck to you with you're prospective purchase!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:44 PM
modman42
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all of the great advice. I think the roads are almost dry enough that i can take the car out for a test drive. I will post the results when I have driven it. Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Grabborange
1st Gear Member

Where in Alberta? Sounds like a nice find. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:15 PM
modman42
2nd Gear Member

Grabborange, I found the car in Edson. I think it is a pretty good find, will see after test drive.

Quick Reply: Newb looking for some feedback.