Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

8.8" Rear Upgrade Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:37 PM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

Default 8.8" Rear Upgrade Options

What are some options I should look into when upgrading the rear on a supercharged 2006 Mustang GT?

I'm being told that the Eaton 8.8" is the way to go unless I go the 9" route.

I don't think I'll ever need the 9", but I would like the rear to hold up to around 700-800 HP when I decide to upgrade my stock engine block.

Would you recommend I go with the 31-spline axles versus the lesser 28's?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2006gtmike
What are some options I should look into when upgrading the rear on a supercharged 2006 Mustang GT?

I'm being told that the Eaton 8.8" is the way to go unless I go the 9" route.

I don't think I'll ever need the 9", but I would like the rear to hold up to around 700-800 HP when I decide to upgrade my stock engine block.

Would you recommend I go with the 31-spline axles versus the lesser 28's?
I would choose this one:

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...troitTruetrac/

This is what I have:

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...cker/index.htm

I would not buy a locker again for a street car. I would buy the top LSD. Noisier than a standard clutch type LSD, but very durable.

Any 8.8 ring and pinion will do fine.

Your 31 spline axles that already in your car are ok to pretty big HP numbers.

Maybe a rear girdle.

Have the axle tubes welded if you pull the rear off the car.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:05 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Yup, the 8.8 can handle a lot of power if built right. Aftermarket differential of your choice, depending on how you want to use the car, weld the axle tubes, aftermarket 31 spline axles, and a girdle. That shoule be strong enough to handle most anything you can throw at it.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 PM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by parchisi
Yup, the 8.8 can handle a lot of power if built right. Aftermarket differential of your choice, depending on how you want to use the car, weld the axle tubes, aftermarket 31 spline axles, and a girdle. That shoule be strong enough to handle most anything you can throw at it.
What aftermarket 31-spline axles would you recommend? Moser?

Which rear differential cover? I like the LPW Cover.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Moser or Superior. I don't know much about covers. Browse around on summit and see what they got.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

What aftermarket 31-spline axles would you recommend? Moser?

Which rear differential cover? I like the LPW Cover.
Leave your axles alone. Never heard of someone breaking one of ours from racing.

If you are getting down into the 9's, then yeah, look at a bigger axle and differential.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Leave your axles alone. Never heard of someone breaking one of ours from racing.

If you are getting down into the 9's, then yeah, look at a bigger axle and differential.
I dont' know what he's going to be doing with that 800 hp, but if its launching at the strip with some slicks...then I'd say definitely beef up the rear end....among other things. If he's just going to be screwing around on street tires on the street, then its probably not necessary.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:56 PM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

I'd be running it occasionally down the 1/4 on slicks and on all-season tires on the street.

So Moser or Superior axles are pretty much the same?

The rear cover I was interested in the Ford Racing, LPW and Shelby versions, but I don't know which is better. I've heard of people having trouble with some aftermarket covers leaking, but that seems like it's more of an installation problem.

And Simon1...where did you purchase your Eaton upgraded rear from?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by parchisi
I dont' know what he's going to be doing with that 800 hp, but if its launching at the strip with some slicks...then I'd say definitely beef up the rear end....among other things. If he's just going to be screwing around on street tires on the street, then its probably not necessary.
He's not going to be making 700-800 with that blower. But if he switches blowers and does, I would suggest bigger and aftermarket axles.

I'd be running it occasionally down the 1/4 on slicks and on all-season tires on the street.

So Moser or Superior axles are pretty much the same?

The rear cover I was interested in the Ford Racing, LPW and Shelby versions, but I don't know which is better. I've heard of people having trouble with some aftermarket covers leaking, but that seems like it's more of an installation problem.

And Simon1...where did you purchase your Eaton upgraded rear from?
It's a Detroit locker. DOn't remember whereI got. Been a few years. If you have an auto tranny, I would consider it, but with the manual tranny, ti horrible on the street. Clunks, clanks, bangs and shutters in parking lots. Screws up cornering when driving spirited.

At the drag strip and in a straight line the car hooks pretty good though.

Get the gear driven LSD from Auburn instead. They are noisy but should hold the power you need.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:13 PM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
He's not going to be making 700-800 with that blower. But if he switches blowers and does, I would suggest bigger and aftermarket axles.

So what is the max power the Whipple I have will put out on a built motor?

It's a Detroit locker. DOn't remember whereI got. Been a few years. If you have an auto tranny, I would consider it, but with the manual tranny, ti horrible on the street. Clunks, clanks, bangs and shutters in parking lots. Screws up cornering when driving spirited.

At the drag strip and in a straight line the car hooks pretty good though.

Get the gear driven LSD from Auburn instead. They are noisy but should hold the power you need.
The transmission in my car is an automatic.
Do you know who manufactures the Ford Racing differentials?

Quick Reply: 8.8" Rear Upgrade Options