Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

mach 1 issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:01 PM
03_mach_won

Default mach 1 issues

Hello I just purchased a used 2003 mach 1 with 70k miles and the car at first felt like a 4 cylinder honda.. no kidding. The car kept bogging out when i would press the gas pedal more then half way and I could feel the motor vibrating and the shaker was just going crazy moving left to right. So i figured it was misfiring/detonation. I replaced all 8 spark plugs (pretty easy to install) with OEM FORD plugs and that helped my issue about 80%.. the car feels much more powerful, but its still bogging out.. especially when im cruising in the freeway I cant really put my foot on the pedal in 5th gear.. i usually have to downshift to 4th gear so the car doesn't bog out. Any other suggestions? I bought the car off a dumba$$ lady that did nothing but oil changes. The TOB is also making some nasty crunchy sound, but as soon as i put my foot on the clutch the sound goes away.. any suggestions on a daily driver clutch thats a bit beefier then oem? as far as the bogging should i replace the fuel filter and coil packs along with a new air filter? The car isn't throwing any codes at the moment..phew.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Blackened04
1st Gear Member

What do you mean by bogging down? I try to keep my RPM's at least at 1500 if I'm cruising in 5th gear, and that isnt hard to do with 4.10's. Take it into a trustworthy mechanic if you think there is a problem. I would probably do all the normal stuff if I know the car has been neglected like change all your fluids, filters, etc. Is the car modded in any way? If so, maybe you need a tune. And remember premium fuel only!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 PM
03_mach_won

Originally Posted by Blackened04
What do you mean by bogging down? I try to keep my RPM's at least at 1500 if I'm cruising in 5th gear, and that isnt hard to do with 4.10's. Take it into a trustworthy mechanic if you think there is a problem. I would probably do all the normal stuff if I know the car has been neglected like change all your fluids, filters, etc. Is the car modded in any way? If so, maybe you need a tune. And remember premium fuel only!
As in when i press the gas the car wants to die! it doesn't move! imagine going 10mph in 5th gear W0T.. thats how the feeling is.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:23 PM
03_mach_won

Previous owner used 89 gas and im currently using 91, but i doubt she took the car past 4000 rpm literally the motor sounds very healthy minus her ruining the clutch/TOB.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Blackened04
1st Gear Member

Did it act that way during the test drive? I would take it to your mech and have them diagnose it. Could be a number of things.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:54 AM
03_mach_won

Originally Posted by Blackened04
Did it act that way during the test drive? I would take it to your mech and have them diagnose it. Could be a number of things.
nope not until recently. I'm going to try out new coil packs and air filter
Old 04-21-2011, 07:29 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03_mach_won
Previous owner used 89 gas and im currently using 91, but i doubt she took the car past 4000 rpm literally the motor sounds very healthy minus her ruining the clutch/TOB.
She used 89 the whole 70k miles??? If so, that's definitly what's caused the issue. Before you start spending $ on the process of elimination parts, take the car to a Ford dealership and have a Ford mechanic check out the entire car from top to bottom. You'll thank yourself for it.

EDIT: holy crap gas is expensive where you live, and welcome to the Mach family.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:51 AM
03_mach_won

Originally Posted by rygi23
She used 89 the whole 70k miles??? If so, that's definitly what's caused the issue. Before you start spending $ on the process of elimination parts, take the car to a Ford dealership and have a Ford mechanic check out the entire car from top to bottom. You'll thank yourself for it.

EDIT: holy crap gas is expensive where you live, and welcome to the Mach family.
The air filer was dirty as ****.. i replaced it, and the fuel filter was dripping out mud.. oem fuel filter thats never been replaced lol.. and lucas fuel injector cleaner with 91 octane... its helped the car so much! i feel more power and the bogging has settled down and it only happens once in a while. I'm thinking about doing round 2 with lucas injector cleaner.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 AM
03_mach_won

I also bought royal purple gear oil 75w90 and transmission fluid.. any suggestions on that before i put the car on jack stands next week?
Old 04-23-2011, 11:15 AM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

I believe it's supposed to take 75w 140.

Quick Reply: mach 1 issues