4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clicking noise in rear end???

Old 05-09-2011, 10:13 PM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Default Clicking noise in rear end???

I will explain any events (that are out of the ordinary) leading up to my problem. 2 days ago I got a car wash at a gas station auto wash. Right after it my rear end was making a whining noise as I accelerate sounding like a fire engine siren (like wooooooOOOOOOO). I stopped at another gas station to look under my car and saw nothing unordinary. So driving on, I hear it again until I hit about 60 and then I didn't hear the whine anymore (even now it doesn't whine). But yesterday I was turning into a CVS and my rear end clicks or cracks loud enough to hear over my loud pipes and even drags (like a quick resistance to move) as if I ran over something. I actually thought I did run over something then it happened again on my way out the parking lot so I stopped to check the tire for something lodged in it but nothing there. Now I'm pretty much having this resistant pull and a loud metallic click or crack if I'm in 1st or 2nd from the rear end. It sounds like the left side but my sister says it's the right side but it seems I feel the pull on the left. It also seems to mostly do it when I'm making a left turn. In fact I don't think its ever done it making a right. It has done it when backing up (in "R") once. I hope I've given enough information. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I have a stock rear end minus a 3.55 gear that was put in around 2008.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:11 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I replaced an axle bearing on a fox body once and it pretty much had the same symptoms.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:30 PM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
I replaced an axle bearing on a fox body once and it pretty much had the same symptoms.
Thanks, I was thinking it might be axle related. I'll have this checked out later in the week. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, it probably isn't the rear end gear because it probably would have trouble catching at any speed right?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 PM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Thanks, I was thinking it might be axle related. I'll have this checked out later in the week. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, it probably isn't the rear end gear because it probably would have trouble catching at any speed right?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:57 AM
svtmitch77
1st Gear Member

I'm almost certain it's your differential. I had this same exact problem with my car.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:11 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by 00_buck
It still could be inside the pumpking, theres two pinion bearings and two carries bearings that could possible make the noise, but if its cleary coming from one of the wheels I would suspect an axle bearing. As far as the diff being bad well there isn't much to go "bad" when it comes to the diff, you have the clutch packs, spider gears, and the center shaft. Generally when the spider gears go bad the rear will bind up on occasions especially around turns, and if the clutch packs go bad well then you are just left one a one tire fire.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:22 AM
flyingkidjoe

a professional racer told me that it's becasue the shop tightened my rear end too tight. and that is why mine makes that noise. it already has a new rear end and everything. so i left it
Old 06-17-2011, 01:44 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

the clicking noise from the rear, if differential related, is a symptom that your clutch packs are very worn and/or very dry. easiest fix, and a good tip for preventative maintenance, is to drain and fill the diff fluid, and add a bottle of FRICTION MODIFIER from your local Ford dealership (may cost ~$10). trust me, the friction modifier makes a LOT of difference, and is recommended for every drain/fill on these rear diffs. you won't notice the change instantly, but after ~1000 miles, the clicking noise should be completely gone, unless of course your clutch packs are REALLY f'ed up.