V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Cam position synchronizer replaced

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:18 PM
desertt5
1st Gear Member

Default Cam position synchronizer replaced ( pics added )

Last weekend I replaced my wife's waterpump due to it squeaking at times. Pulled to belt off and the waterpump bearings did not feel great.

New waterpump and the car still made noise.

After more searching, found out the cam position synchronizer sits directly behind the waterpump.

today replaced the CPS and all is quiet. Could not find the camera that my daughter had but it is a pretty straight forward job.

1. remove EGR along with the mounting bracket. The tube running down to the exhaust can stay in place. There are only 3 bolts (8mm) holding this bracket on. Circled in the pic. There is one vacuum line on top of the EGR valve to remove.

2. The cam positioner sensor has 2 bolts (5mm ?) holding it on along with a connector. Remove these to pull the black sensor off.

3. The top of the synchronizer now has to be lined up, Turn the crankshaft bolt using a breaker bar and socket untill the piece in the middle of the synchronizer lines up with the the open slot on the outside edge. Install the plastic tool that came with the new CPS.

Line up the pin to the opening in the body of the CPS. Pin is circled in pic.

4. Take out the 10mm bolt and large washer holding down the CPS. Pull up on the CPS, it will rotate slightly due to the gear at the bottom.

5. The oil pump shaft must be removed from the old CPS. I put the the shaft in my vice and hit the gear with a hammer to release the C-clip that holds the shaft in.

6. Push the oil pump drive shaft into the new CPS until it locks. It will have some play in and out.

7. Install the alignment tool on the CPS. It only fits one way, you may have to spin the gear so it seats fully.

8. Install the CPS in the motor. As long as the old one was removed WITH the tool installed, it does NOT matter where the arrow is pointing. The tool aligns the switch to TDC before you removed it. Mine went back in over 90* different, but fired up and ran fine.

9. Remove alignment tool and install the cam position sensor.

10. Reinstall the other parts in reverse order. Rinse and repaet.

Will add pics once I find the camera. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by desertt5; 09-05-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Jimtex

I just had mine out to repair a squeeling noise. I didn't take any steps to insure alignment. I guess I got lucky because it runs fine, maybe better than before. I do now have a check engine light on(P1336). Do you think it could need to be set, being that it runs just fine?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:05 PM
sIx
4th Gear Member

yeah you probably should have lined it up first... They are very common to go out on these cars, but most of the time they come with the tool to line it up before you pull it out, yours didn't?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:28 PM
desertt5
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jimtex
I just had mine out to repair a squeeling noise. I didn't take any steps to insure alignment. I guess I got lucky because it runs fine, maybe better than before. I do now have a check engine light on(P1336). Do you think it could need to be set, being that it runs just fine?
Your code says it is not set right. Try setiing the engine to TDC and resetting the synchronizer.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Jimtex

Yeah probably so, I'll try that this weekend.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Jimtex

Took car to local tune shop and let them work on it. Even using the alignment tool they are unable to keep the code from coming in. They kept the car in the shop to work on it next week.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:43 AM
desertt5
1st Gear Member

If the car is running it has to be set close already. I would think you could pull the syncro up with the tool on and turn it left or right one tooth of the lower gear and see if that works. It can only go in while linign up with the gear, so there ia a limited number of ways to mess up.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:00 PM
desertt5
1st Gear Member

Some pics added