4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

catted x-pipe w/flowmasters

Old 09-09-2005, 11:02 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default catted x-pipe w/flowmasters

Ive heard in the past people dont like the sound of the set up with a x-pipe with flowmasters. Let me tell you, Ihave a magnaflow catted x-pipe american thunder cat back on my 04 GT and it sounds really good. Not raspy at all like everyone says the x-pipe sounds. I had the loudmouth 1 and 2 on my car and the sound just wasnt for me. With the flows, totally awesome sound. Had system on car for 2 weeks and had lots of compliments on the way the car sounds. Anyone have an opinion on this kind of set up?
Old 09-10-2005, 02:11 AM
4.6ford
1st Gear Member

Default RE: catted x-pipe w/flowmasters

i have just the american thunder cat back on my 02 Gt and i love the way it sounds and i've gotten complaments but i plan on doing more with the exhaust just in time.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:16 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

I suggest go with a catted or non catted x-pipe depending where you live (for emissions) . The x-pipe will give you more power than an H pipe. The sound is different depending on your cat-back. H may be a little more deeper, but the X does not sound bad if you have the right set up. Ive had the LM 1 and 2 cat back and both systems were way too high pitched for me. Therefore I went with flowmaster american thunder and was very satisfied. Also shorty headers (ceramic) would be a good move. Shortys are better if you ever need trans work done and give good power gains. All depends on what kind of engine work you have had done. The more internal engine work, the more power gains you will get out of your exhaust system. If you dont plan on heads/ cams etc, then save doing headers for a while.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Mustang5.0_GT
3rd Gear Member

I just got 3compliments in a week on my exhaust , I got a 94 5.0 , Off Road H-Pipe with SLP LM1's ...
Old 09-10-2005, 01:09 PM
PGH Stang

I have a SLP Catted X on with my Flows and it still sounds good, but I'd rather have my O/R H on which I will probally switch after I go get inspected.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:33 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

I have some sort of catted x-pipe havent had a chance to look to see who makes it previous owner put it on and i have flowmasters. Lots of people have complimented me too saying its really deep and not just over loud like the loudmouth 1
Old 09-10-2005, 07:27 PM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

i just got my car inspected in fort worth, and the mechanic told me if i ever were to get an o/r xpipe or anything to go outside the city to a more rural area to get it inspected b/c they only do the safety inspection, no emissions. i just need to find out how far ill have to drive to get that done
Old 09-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sprostang

I suggest go with a catted or non catted x-pipe depending where you live (for emissions) . The x-pipe will give you more power than an H pipe. The sound is different depending on your cat-back. H may be a little more deeper, but the X does not sound bad if you have the right set up. Ive had the LM 1 and 2 cat back and both systems were way too high pitched for me. Therefore I went with flowmaster american thunder and was very satisfied. Also shorty headers (ceramic) would be a good move. Shortys are better if you ever need trans work done and give good power gains. All depends on what kind of engine work you have had done. The more internal engine work, the more power gains you will get out of your exhaust system. If you dont plan on heads/ cams etc, then save doing headers for a while.
X and H pipe are practically identical for power. I read magazine that did intense dyno testing on a 5.0 with both pipes.. the X netted like 1 HP more PEAK ona particular setup, but even still it had less power over most of the band than the H pipe had. In general the H produced a better power band (read: better e.t.'s) than the X.. just SLIGHTLY less PEAK power. Differences were minuscule in either case.

To make any real power gains though you need non-catted... 'high flow' catted pipes will not give near the same performance gain as any offroad pipe will.