Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Why does Ford limit the top speed of the Boss Mustang to 155mph!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Performance White Boss Mustang

Were really running with the big boys now!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Hope all that is for you.

You don't like the top speed? If you just spent $40-$50,000 on a car, spend the extra $200 to have the limiter shut off. If you can't figure that out on your own, you have no business being behind the wheel at those speeds. Crawl before you walk... then learn to run with the big boys.
No, I don't like the top speed and I don't like voiding my factory warranty by messing with my pcm/ecm, which is the FASTEST way to void one's warranty on a new $45,000 car.

That being said, I see a 650 HP 200 mph 2013 Mustang Shelby 500 in my future, that car is really incredible and will not have a top end limiter on it and will be built to handle that speed, then I will be able to really run with the big boys down the Texas Mile!

Last edited by Performance White Boss Mustang; 12-27-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:09 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Doubt the new GT500 will do 200 in the real world without aftermarket adjustments and some aerodynamic improvements to keep it stable.
And for whatever it's worth, if you read the fine print, Ford has the option NOT to honor the warrenty if they deem you were operating the vehicle outside standard driving conditions.

Just an honest question, have you actually ever been driving at 200mph?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:08 PM

Doubt the new GT500 will do 200 in the real world without aftermarket adjustments and some aerodynamic improvements to keep it stable.
And for whatever it's worth, if you read the fine print, Ford has the option NOT to honor the warrenty if they deem you were operating the vehicle outside standard driving conditions.

Just an honest question, have you actually ever been driving at 200mph?
No but close, in September of 2010, I drove 183 mph in a sanctioned standing mile event at a private airport in a very close friend of mine's Corvette ZR1, making 650rwhp, pullied down with a tune, and it was very stable, as the car is built to handle it as you can imagine, and it was an EXTREME RUSH!!!

At the same event, I saw 170 mph in my 2006 Corvette Z06 (LS7), dyno tuned with CAI, and in the standing mile (also very stable), so this is something I am into and REALLY ENJOY, and one of my goals is to see 200 mph in a legal and safe, HIGH speed sanctioned environment.

Last edited by Performance White Boss Mustang; 12-29-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:06 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Performance White Boss Mustang
No but close, in September of 2010, I drove 183 mph in a sanctioned standing mile event at a private airport in a very close friend of mine's Corvette ZR1, making 650rwhp, pullied down with a tune, and it was very stable, as the car is built to handle it as you can imagine, and it was an EXTREME RUSH!!!

At the same event, I saw 170 mph in my 2006 Corvette Z06 (LS7), dyno tuned with CAI, and in the standing mile (also very stable), so this is something I am into and REALLY ENJOY, and one of my goals is to see 200 mph in a legal and safe, HIGH speed sanctioned environment.
I'm right there with you on the fun of standing mile events! however, I seriously doubt the 2013 GT500 will be able to do much more that the corvette ZR1 making 650HP, I also doubt it will come without a speed limiter, the current generation GT500's are limited at 155 from the factory.
I think it's all about the tires it comes with, they may go with "y" rated tires (186MPH) and set the limiter at 175MPH.
I suspect there is a big difference between being "capable" of 200MPH+, and what comes out of the factory.
Probably with tires, tune, and pulley swap it will do it... but maybe not in one mile from a standing start.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:50 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

.... I own a C6 Z06 LS7 powered vette that has a top speed of a 198 mph (bone stock)....
...At the same event, I saw 170 mph in my 2006 Corvette Z06 (LS7), dyno tuned with CAI...

This is what I'm getting at.
"Supposed to" or "able to" doesn't mean that they will. You're advertised "stock" top speed was a big gap away from what your actual top speed was with mods done.

The GT500 is a brick compared to the lines on the Vette. It's going to need a lot of aero improvement to pull in those numbers.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:40 AM

This is what I'm getting at.
"Supposed to" or "able to" doesn't mean that they will. You're advertised "stock" top speed was a big gap away from what your actual top speed was with mods done.

The GT500 is a brick compared to the lines on the Vette. It's going to need a lot of aero improvement to pull in those numbers.
No, no, no, there is a HUGE difference between the top advertised and tested speed of one of these American Supercars, 198 mph for a C6 Corvette Z06, over 200 mph for a Corvette ZR1 or 2010 Viper Coupe, versus the top speed they can reach in the standing mile (which is always way less).

A bone stock C6 Z06 has been tested by many folks at 198mph; however, you need way more than a mile to reach that speed, and the standing mile does not allow it reach its max speed, just like the standing mile does not allow a stock Vette ZR1 to reach its 203 mph top speed, it needs more room, like the Authbahn, or some irresponsible driving on open stretches of road in the middle of nowwhere where people will do that (not me, too dangerous and illegal for my liking),

I understand your point that there is not too many places to ever reach the top speed of let's say 200 mph, if your not a professional driver for the BIG 3, or a professional supercar tester for a huge magazine, without REALLY breaking the law and putting innocent people at extreme risk for death, and I agree with you.

Although the new Shelby 500 looks very similar cosmetically to the 2012 model, according to the latest article in car and driver and several car sources online, Ford Engineers built this new 2013 Shelby 500 Supercar with one of their main goals to get the car to reach a top speed of 200 mph, which their testers have already achieved on a European driving testing grounds (they reached 202 mph). The Ford Engineers made a ton of changes to the car, primarily on the gearing to reach those speeds on the top end, single piece carbon fiber drive shaft to sustain vibrations at 200 mph, and significant high tech changes to the front fascia of the Mustang to allow it to reach 200 mph. These changes are already documented as the car is being sold as of May of 2013, and has already been built and tested, and yes you will be amazed and skeptical at first, but this new Stang is cabable and will have a top end speed of 200 mph (and there will be no govenor on this Stang). By having a Mustang that reaches 200 mph with the most producing factory HP engine to date, this Mustang will actually compete in sales with some 2008-10 600 HP Vipers, and some Corvettes (Z06s and ZR1) that also can achieve speeds of 200 mph. This car is the REAL DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, wonder what it takes to get on the Salt Flats (?), as there is more than enough room to get any given car to its real top speed at da Salt Flats.

Last edited by Performance White Boss Mustang; 01-06-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 PM
rebus
1st Gear Member

What are the safety requirements to run 200 mph at the Texas Mile? The Mojave mile requires a cage, fire suppression system, and full racing seat and gear. They just let you take a street car and do 200 mph?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by rebus
What are the safety requirements to run 200 mph at the Texas Mile? The Mojave mile requires a cage, fire suppression system, and full racing seat and gear. They just let you take a street car and do 200 mph?
The TX mile requirements for a 200 mph hr car is probalby similar to the Mojave Mile.

BUT, none of the cars in question 2013 Shelby 500, Corvette ZR1 or Z06, or 2008-10 Viper SRT0, will come close to reaching 200mph on a 1 mile stretch of roadway in STOCK form, they all need more distance than a mile to reach their true top end speeds.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:21 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rebus
One thing to note is that the GT500 qualifies for the Showroom Stock Exotic (SSE) class as long as you are unmodified, which means that if you have the personal safety gear (firesuit, etc) you can do up to 185MPH (really 180, but they allow a +/- 5MPH margin before sternly waring you to slow down).

Quick Reply: Why does Ford limit the top speed of the Boss Mustang to 155mph!