Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Why does Ford limit the top speed of the Boss Mustang to 155mph!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:18 AM
Performance White Boss Mustang

Originally Posted by danzcool
One thing to note is that the GT500 qualifies for the Showroom Stock Exotic (SSE) class as long as you are unmodified, which means that if you have the personal safety gear (firesuit, etc) you can do up to 185MPH (really 180, but they allow a +/- 5MPH margin before sternly waring you to slow down).
Great info, and one would then be good to go with the bad azz 2013 Shelby 500 in the TX mile, as it won't get over 180 mph in the standing mile, she needs alot more than 1 mile to really stretch her wings to get to 200 mph. LOVE this car, really hope I can get one in a few years!!!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Performance White Boss Mustang
Great info, and one would then be good to go with the bad azz 2013 Shelby 500 in the TX mile, as it won't get over 180 mph in the standing mile, she needs alot more than 1 mile to really stretch her wings to get to 200 mph. LOVE this car, really hope I can get one in a few years!!!!!
Well, SSE class is for Mojave Mile. It looks like the rules for Texas mile don't require a roll cage until you're over 190MPH, for any car.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Performance White Boss Mustang

Great info, thanks for posting.

My cousin lives in Glendale, CA, and is a car NUT and has some fast cars ,and we were talking about me flying out there this year so we can do the Mojave Mile.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM
HoustonRider

its always the tires limiting the capabilities.

Remove the limiter is easy, just bet on the tires you have holding up to speeds over their rating..... (or get new tires).

(first post, looking at Mustangs for the first time since 1989....considering a Boss)
Old 02-25-2014, 11:53 PM
spyder.mustang

Originally Posted by LilRoush
It's not dumb. There are many reasons Ford does this. First and formost 99.99% of owners are nowhere near being able to handle a car at those speeds... plus it's a street car, and there is no need for it. Insurance is also a reason. Engineering off the lot doesn't follow suit for a 200 mph car. Ford didn't design it for top speed nor straight line racing. It's a road course car, and not many road course cars need speeds over 155.

That being said, if you are running the TX mile and the like, chances are you've modded it for such use already and will know how to get around a limiter for that. So the point falls to the way side.

Also, CLAIMED top speeds are very different than real world top speeds.
what a douche. go buy a Honda grandpa, people pay for a fast car, they should not have a limiter on it. what if someone goes to a track and wants to go faster than the limiter will go?

sounds like you got butthurt cause someone passed you on the highway and OMG the world is gonna end lol.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:35 PM
Steve@Tasca
Former Sponsor

Speed limiters are typically due to factory tires but on the Mustang it may also be due to the two piece driveshaft which apparently doesn't like those extremely high speeds which is why the 2013 GT500 got a one piece carbon driveshaft.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:16 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by spyder.mustang
what a douche. go buy a Honda grandpa, people pay for a fast car, they should not have a limiter on it. what if someone goes to a track and wants to go faster than the limiter will go?

sounds like you got butthurt cause someone passed you on the highway and OMG the world is gonna end lol.

Wow. First post and you bump a thread started in 2011 for this!?

I'm very happy with my collection of rare Ford performance cars. If you READ my post, you'll see very clearly where I say if you are ready to reach those speeds, you've already modified the car, and will be fully aware of how to remove the limitations put there by Ford. If you pay that much for a BOSS (or any other high end off the lot 'track' car, the few extra bucks to have it removed are a drop in the bucket. As stated, they followed regulation for street legal cars (which it is sold as).
Grandpa? Hardly. How about actual track car owner/driver who understand the law.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you share more of your wisdom with us.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

The OEM Pirelli Tires are verified "W" rated for 168MPH in 18 and 19 inch wheel diameters... They are V or W rated at 20 inch diameter depending on the height of the sidewall. So you would need to do a little homework for a suitable replacement to sustain higher speeds. The limiter is more to comply with the limitations of the equipped tires. It would be best to research for verified "Y" to reach speeds rated to 186MPH. If you wanna go faster..... you'll need tires verified in excess of 186MPH which is "(Y)"....notice the parenthesis. The manufacturer would have notations added for the exact speeds tested up to. However the amount of time spent at those sustained speeds varies between manufacturers. So, if you go too long at those high speeds you still risk a blowout. Plus if you stomp on it everyday like that ...you will wear on all the other components prematurely...suspension...motor, drive train, transmission and gearing.... you would literally.... be the poster child for component failure on any vehicle. Or you'll need to own a lift, engine jack and stand to strip down the motor regularly and rebuild...along with a revolving account at the auto part store to constantly replace parts.

Even hypercars are for the enthusiast. Daily driven hard to their limits...they would also require constant maintenance. But if you can afford the hypercar...you can afford the maintenance. And of course renting a road for it to be driven to those limits.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:40 PM
MIATitan

There are some tuners that save the factory settings so that you can set it back before maintenance.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:42 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

My stock Mustang GT was able to do 135mph and still be very controllable, and I think that's why the limiter was set at 145 or 149mph. Erik