4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

My Recession Buster Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

been getting in some odds and ends but waiting on some timing tools and parts from mhs. but heres a little treat ive been wanting for a while and finally ran accross one in my price range:
Old 01-18-2012, 09:52 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

you are literally doing EXACTLY what i want to do...

except for the Teksid block and rods, our builds look identical.

what are you running for an intake?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Nice! Direct port injection I am guessing? Are you going to set it up under the intake manifold for a "sleeper" look?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

sn95, look at the op. there a black manifold in a couple pics. its a fully ported 96-98 ford racing svo intake thats also been gasket matched to pi heads.
bpohlman, the nozzles go right under the fuel injectors. i will be able to hide most of the kit so it will be kind of a sleeper kit. i'll be running a 100 shot with it and will be tuned with race fuel. heres a pic of the kit on a manifold
Old 01-19-2012, 11:25 AM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

The exact build I'm looking at.. Looks good man!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
sn95, look at the op. there a black manifold in a couple pics. its a fully ported 96-98 ford racing svo intake thats also been gasket matched to pi heads.
yeah i had a major brain fart moment there...

OP, how are you running 108* ICL? the 270's are 109* ICL installed straight up and the TFS crank gears only go in 2* intervals...

unless you have the Cloyes cam gears?...

idk...
Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

well, they will be 108-109 range. if the tf lower adjustable gears put the centerline in this range, i'll leave the cam gears alone(they should since they go 2 degree increments). if not, i'll sand the cam keys down. im setting the centerline in this range so the intake valve opens soon as possible to fill the cylinders up with as much air as possible. plus the father you advance the cams, the sooner the power curve cames in the rpm range. ive actually seen one person run these cams at 106 centerline. reguardless what the centerline says on the box, this is just recommendations on what centerline to set the cams at. most times when you just drop in cams, they will be off. an example is one guy dropped in a set of comp cams and the centerline was 111 on one cam and 104 on the other. the cams needed to be degreed to proper centerline via adjustable cam gears or/and lower timing gears. this guy ended up with a 109 centerline on both cams. hope this helps you
Old 01-19-2012, 09:58 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
well, they will be 108-109 range. if the tf lower adjustable gears put the centerline in this range, i'll leave the cam gears alone(they should since they go 2 degree increments). if not, i'll sand the cam keys down. im setting the centerline in this range so the intake valve opens soon as possible to fill the cylinders up with as much air as possible. plus the father you advance the cams, the sooner the power curve cames in the rpm range. ive actually seen one person run these cams at 106 centerline. reguardless what the centerline says on the box, this is just recommendations on what centerline to set the cams at. most times when you just drop in cams, they will be off. an example is one guy dropped in a set of comp cams and the centerline was 111 on one cam and 104 on the other. the cams needed to be degreed to proper centerline via adjustable cam gears or/and lower timing gears. this guy ended up with a 109 centerline on both cams. hope this helps you
no i know, mine were at 109* and 111* so i had to even them out since i installed them -4* (long story, see my thread i just started)

FWIW im actually planning on running mine at 107* ICL as long as my PTV checks out
Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

good luck running them at anything earlier than 111. some peoples cleared, others didnt. i hope yours do clear. as you see earlier in the thread, i notched my pistons .050 and running manley valves for .040 extra clearence. i'd like to run my at a 107-108 but dont know if i have the clearence. we will see, haha! i'll check out your build thread, its always cool seeing people going beyond the norm!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:32 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Well time for an update. i hit a little bump in the road and broke a cam cap bolt and had to wait a couple days to get it removed but now im again on my way:

first off, parts
steeda underdrive pulley

trickflow lower adjustable cam gears, in the bag is adjustable solid lifter, check springs, oversize retainers and base plate for dail indicator

arp cam bolts

comp degree kit

and here are the manley ss valves, titanium retainers and crane cam springs

here are the 270 comp cams going in withe the check springs, oversize retainers, adjustable lifter so i can degree them them

here are a few pics of the "finding tdc process." the pics arent that great but you get the idea.

and heres some ink work i may base my next tat off of

Quick Reply: My Recession Buster Engine Build