Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010GT Roush M90 UPR catch can install

Old 03-28-2012, 10:03 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Default 2010GT Roush M90 UPR catch can install

Got my UPR catch can. I'll say that the fit and finish is very nice. On an NA GT, I suspect that the install is straighforward, but it's not going to be quite as easy on my M90 equipped 2010GT.

I havent taken any pics because I knew this was going to take some doing once I got into and frankly, I just wanted to get it done. But not anticipating the problem's I am running into, I ended up putting everything back to stock. When I work on this hopefully tomorrow or certainly this weekend, I'll take pics.

First thing is first. One of my requirements was that I would not modify the existing tube that ran from the valve cover into the place where it attached to the SC body behind the throttle body. That's part of the reason why I selected UPR because the instructions do no require any modifications to that hose...on a stock GT. Another reason is that I wanted to have the catch can solidly mounted, not floating around hanging by the hoses. I don't want to mod the original factory tube because of warranty concerns.

It took me a while to select a place I felt would be good for the can. The normal place UPR recommends mounting doesnt work (but they also have said you can easily mount this elsewhere which is true!) I don't know what the component is, but theres a small black cylinder hanging from the strut tower and it's too tight for it and the cc. Additionally where the air box and tube connects to the throttle body, you'd have to take that all off just to empty the can. I ended up finding a nice cozy spot for it near the brake booster. As it turns out, the amount of hose UPR sends I am about 2 inches shy of having enough hose.

So to install it, the only real way to get to everything is remove the top of the air box, the AB to TB tube, disconnect the MAF sensor, and all the tubing connected to it airbox to TB tube. So then I'm trying to get a good look back there but the throttle body is making it hard to see well in back. I pulled the throttle body to get a better idea of what to do. Then I see that the Roush setup goes from the valve cover to a T connector that then connects to the Roush SC body and then runs behind the the SC to where I know not. I get that disconnected and am now at a crossroads. I don't have a spare T connector so either I cut the factory one now or run to Napa and it's starting to get dark...meh...run to Napa.

Me and 2 parts guys go back and forth a little and decide that a 1/2 inch T is the right size. Then I realize I forgot my wallet. My wife was driving so I hit her up for some money. Now I feel like a rube...but I also realize that Im starting to get tired and maybe making stupid mistakes, so be extra careful (I worked all day then raked the yard in the heat a lot before all of this). I get back home, try to make the T work but I'm not liking the way it fits on just one hose. I think 1/2 is too small must have been 5/8's so I run back to Napa and swap out. Get home and now it fits much tighter in one hose, but the other 2, there's no way it's going to slide over. 1/2" WAS the right size. I decide to cut my losses. It's now too dark to keep working on the car without concerns of missing something.

I left the catch can mounted but put everything else back. Reinstall the original factory or Roush hose, reinstall the throttle body, reinstall the air box cover and tube and all the vacuum hoses. I went for a quick run around the neighborhood because I do have to drive it to work tomorrow. But now I also have the errand of picking up about 2 ft of 5/8 hose and a 1/2 inch T connector. No biggie, but just wanted to say I thought this wasnt going to be exactly plug and play and it's turned out that way. I'll take pics when I do the install in case anyone else running the same configuration wants to do it in the future.

I don't think UPR has made any mistakes with their configuration. It might be nice to have the option to order a longer length of hose for an extra buck or two and have the option of straight connectors instead of a 90 degree, but the catch can itself is very very nice. I need to look at more of their products as this is a solidly built, beautiful, quality piece.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

In had to wing it myself with my m90. No instructions for us. It's a must have though.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wcgman
Got my UPR catch can. I'll say that the fit and finish is very nice. On an NA GT, I suspect that the install is straighforward, but it's not going to be quite as easy on my M90 equipped 2010GT.

I don't think UPR has made any mistakes with their configuration. It might be nice to have the option to order a longer length of hose for an extra buck or two and have the option of straight connectors instead of a 90 degree, but the catch can itself is very very nice. I need to look at more of their products as this is a solidly built, beautiful, quality piece.
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Let me know if Napa doesn't have the proper hose and I can send you some.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product on your car!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

UPR makes a great catch can. I found a great place to mount it right on the cowl with an existing bolt hole.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:19 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by timmbo
UPR makes a great catch can. I found a great place to mount it right on the cowl with an existing bolt hole.

Wow, that looks great timmbo! I like how you did the 90° fitting on one side and the straight fitting on the other side.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:32 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timmbo

On the 2010, thats where the neck of the SC wraps around so it wont fit there. Instead of hooking around to the left as in your pic, the 2010 M90 goes to the right. I'll post pics of where I snuggled it when I get back into it this weekend, but its essentially attached to the fender on the inside near the brake reservoir. I think its actually going to work out pretty well as the cc ships with 90 degree elbows and in that corner, it is perfect.