Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

broken bolt on intake manifold

Old 05-02-2012, 11:38 AM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

Default broken bolt on intake manifold

I went to change my throttle body gasket, as mine got damaged somehow and when I went to loosen one of the bottom nuts that connect the throttle body, I realized the whole bolt was broken off. I am not sure if I over-torqued it when I put my throttle body back on last week or what. Does anyone know if the bolt can be replaced? it really doesn't look like it can. I assume the only way to fix this is to buy a whole intake manifold, but that sucks.

If I do have to go the intake manifold route.. is there any benefit to getting an upgraded manifold for an n/a stang with minimal bolt-ons? I could probably get a ford replacement for 30% off through a friend or an aftermarket runs around $800 I guess..
Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by joshetc
I went to change my throttle body gasket, as mine got damaged somehow and when I went to loosen one of the bottom nuts that connect the throttle body, I realized the whole bolt was broken off. I am not sure if I over-torqued it when I put my throttle body back on last week or what. Does anyone know if the bolt can be replaced? it really doesn't look like it can. I assume the only way to fix this is to buy a whole intake manifold, but that sucks.

If I do have to go the intake manifold route.. is there any benefit to getting an upgraded manifold for an n/a stang with minimal bolt-ons? I could probably get a ford replacement for 30% off through a friend or an aftermarket runs around $800 I guess..
you can CAREFULLY weld a small piece of metal onto the bolt and use it to turn it out maybe, thats what we do at my shop when things break
Old 05-02-2012, 10:45 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
you can CAREFULLY weld a small piece of metal onto the bolt and use it to turn it out maybe, thats what we do at my shop when things break
just be super careful you don't weld anything toyour throttle body itself just the screw
Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 PM
russellthelovemuscle
2nd Gear Member

if you can't weld... you can try vice grips, if that doesn't work you can try hammering something like a chisel into the broken bolt and turn it out. if that doesn't work you can try extracting it by drilling it out. if that doesn't work you can try welding it, if that doesn't work then..
Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

why not try a bolt extractor? I can't remember how the stud is secured. If you do decide to go for a new manifold go with the C&L. more volume plus it comes with CMDP as a part of the runners. I believe it is $799?

Good for 14 more horsepower on an other wise stock GT. Your intake will take advantage of it.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 AM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

I think the bolt isn't threaded in to the intake manifold, I will try today and see if it is. If it is threaded in then I really have nothing to worry about. I didn't have time to mess with it yesterday as I had to go to class.

edit: It is one of the bottom ones that are attached to the intake manifold (looked permanently) not the top one.

Last edited by joshetc; 05-03-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Remove the intake.
Call around and find a machine shop with the proper tools to remove a broken bolt/stud. The last time I did this it only cost $15 and it was a very professional job.

Plus, you are usually better off using new stainless steel bolts when screwing into aluminum. ACE hardware carries a good selection of SS bolts.

Good luck, you might want to buy a torque wrench so you know exactly how tight to torque nuts/bolts. For the small stuff you will need an inch-pound wrench.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 AM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
Remove the intake.
Call around and find a machine shop with the proper tools to remove a broken bolt/stud. The last time I did this it only cost $15 and it was a very professional job.

Plus, you are usually better off using new stainless steel bolts when screwing into aluminum. ACE hardware carries a good selection of SS bolts.

Good luck, you might want to buy a torque wrench so you know exactly how tight to torque nuts/bolts. For the small stuff you will need an inch-pound wrench.
Good call on the torque wrench, I probably do need to buy one.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:57 AM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

Looks like the bolt is threaded on both sides, just grabbed it with a pair of pliers and it screwed right out. Haha.

Just need to find a replacement bolt, I ran the car with just 3 bolts and couldn't hear any air being sucked in through the side like when the gasket was bad, so I assume it will be fine for a trip to the hardware store.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Don't forget a dab of anti-seize, very cheap insurance. Any bolt going into Aluminum should have a dab to prevent electrolysis between the steel bolt and Aluminum threads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: broken bolt on intake manifold