4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Oil blowing out RADIATOR. No oil in block, no coolant in oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Doublevision
1st Gear Member

Default Oil blowing out RADIATOR. No oil in block, no coolant in oil

1998 4.6 GT 5 speed

Today I noticed oil under the car but it was under the nose, opened the hood and oil was billowing out the radiator mixed in the coolant. Pulled the oil dipstick and no oil left in the engine, BUT NO COOLANT in the oil.

What do I need to check? Is there anywhere I can look without pulling the heads since it is not a blown head gasket in the traditional sense?

I've heard possible intake gasket??? If so can I get some pointers on where and what to look for?

Last edited by Doublevision; 05-02-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Doublevision
1st Gear Member

Radiator is overflowing and dipstick is dry so oil fully emptied into coolant. 5+ quarts

Oil in heads is CLEAN. No coolant.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

I'm thinking you have either a blown head gasket or a damanged oil filter adapter gasket/o-rings. I found a thread with a similar issue: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...lp-please.html
Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Doublevision
1st Gear Member

Thank you for the link, but did you read the last post? I more confused now than before. Lol
Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doublevision
Thank you for the link, but did you read the last post? I more confused now than before. Lol
I would look into the oil filter adapter gasket/orings first as it seems way easier (and cheaper) to replace than head gaskets.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Doublevision
1st Gear Member

Agree. Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Doublevision
1st Gear Member

Well I can't see any evidence of blow through, but I'm going to shave it and stick a new gasket in there to see what it does. Could the adapter be leaking itself inside the bottom area?

Last edited by Doublevision; 05-03-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 AM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doublevision
Well I can't see any evidence of blow through, but I'm going to shave it and stick a new gasket in there to see what it does. Could the adapter be leaking itself inside the bottom area?

Maybe you could try forcing some air/water into the oil passages of the adapter to see if it comes out of the coolant side?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Fastblackstang

I am gonna say to check the head gasket mine went and did the same thing, it depends where the head gasket is torn. Also have to remember that compression is stronger then water pump, which would cause oil to be forced into the coolant.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:29 AM
Doublevision
1st Gear Member

Changed the oil plate gasket so we will see how it goes. It'll take a few days to get all that damn oil out of the radiator. I've flushed it 8 times already tonight and it is still shooting oil spurts out the drain so it's going to take a bit. The only way I can really tell right now is to watch the oil level. It was bone dry when this issue surfaced the other day as it was all in the radiator.

There is a better design to the newer blue gaskets. The plastic encases the rubber seals on the blue one versus the orange one the seals hang over the edge of the gasket. This must have been an issue that caused a redesign so hopefully that was leaking and the new one fixes everything up. *crossing fingers*

Quick Reply: Oil blowing out RADIATOR. No oil in block, no coolant in oil