Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Soon to be owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:38 PM
ZWilliams

Talking Soon to be owner

Hello, everyone just have a few questions that I hope can be sorted out. 1st off I do not have my mustang yet, I am on deployment and now know that I will be getting a 2012 or newer 5.0 approved by the wife at home. Any ways, here come the questions

-Manual or Auto. Pros/Cons.
-is it worth getting tuned headers?
-Size of headers (I will be getting long tube's) and was leaning towards 1-3/4
-Xpipe catted or not
(Was looking at Kooks, like the reviews alot.) Are they worth it?
-Intake set up & Tuner Click For AM Link form what I have been reading is that if I choose to use this intake set up I should get a larger Throttle body. Would 90 be too large, as well as I have seen some people say that they would recommend a cam as well? Any thoughts?
And is this a good way to start?
Anything that I should add?

Thank you all for the time and i cant wait to get started!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:39 AM
NAVYMAN
1st Gear Member

Manual vs auto depends what your uses for the car are going to be and what you prefer. Manuals IMO are way more fun to drive then the Autos but the Autos are always nice in traffic and you don't have to mess with upgrading your shifter or anything like that.

If you have the cash then I would say headers are worth it. LT's can get pretty pricey. If you don't have to worry about inspections than I would say go with the off-road mid-pipe, if you don't want it loud then go with a catted mid-pipe.

I would recommend looking into some suspension upgrades Springs, Shocks, Control arms, Sway Bars ETC... All that power will be nice but if you cant make good use of it then it takes some of the fun away.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:20 AM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

Where are you deployed to? I'm in trashcanistan, RC-C.

Get manual trans. It's all I ever drive. I would never drive something else. You feel more in control of the car, and plus it's just a whole lot more fun. Unless you're driving through Atlanta at 4pm. But I would still choose it over an auto every day of the week. You won't regret it.

That's a pretty solid list of mods..shouldn't go wrong.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:02 AM
ZWilliams

Originally Posted by NAVYMAN
I would recommend looking into some suspension upgrades Springs, Shocks, Control arms, Sway Bars ETC... All that power will be nice but if you cant make good use of it then it takes some of the fun away.
I will be looking in to that, definitely all that you said. did a bit more reading last night and will almost have to. thank you

Also i have about 7k saved up for aftermarket parts.

Where are you deployed to? I'm in trashcanistan, RC-C.
I am in Kuwait right now(****HOLE), with small boat unit.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Zevox

I just got mine a few weeks ago and it has a manual and I came from my truck with an auto in it, this being my first full time stick. I have to agree that the manual is a LOT of fun to drive. Slightly bad side is it makes me want to drive my car harder because it is fun, sucks having to be mature while driving to not rag my car. I keep hearing that manual's have problems, mine feels clunky but not broken or anything, and that auto's are going to be faster in the 1/4 and can handle more horsepower reliably. No personal experience, just relaying what I've seen stated.

Can't go wrong either way, hope you have fun with your car and stay safe until you make it home.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Tranny type is a matter of opinion so here's mine. You RIDE an auto; you DRIVE a manual. Manual's have a lot more fun factor. It's that interactive component... (also, your chances of the wifey not being able to drive a manual certainly helps the odds of keeping the car... to yourself...).

Before you do ANY performance mods, search and poll the forum. Many a hard-earned dollar has been spent on worthless and poor choice mods. There are a number of combinations that work fantastic together and modding depends on how deep your pockets are and what your driving intentions are. Cams and LT's are a super combo, adding more power together than the sum of both individually. But the custom tune is a must with most ANY performance mod.

Last edited by Nuke; 05-04-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

long reach for the clutch on a manual..if you or your wife have short legs it could be a problem.
if no problem go manual..
Old 05-04-2013, 01:10 PM
ZWilliams

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
long reach for the clutch on a manual..if you or your wife have short legs it could be a problem.
if no problem go manual..
lol not for me im 6'4" wife prob shes like 5'2" ha, i will more then likely getting a manual, any thing i should worry about with the extra HP or will it be alright.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

go manual lol..
hp?
no probs..my wife is a middleged non petrol head but is in love with the v8 stang..
Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 PM
ZWilliams

Thank you guys for the help! i will be reading around the fourms till i get home and get the car! cant wait!

Quick Reply: Soon to be owner