Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2014 shift problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:35 PM
CJinCNJ

Default 2014 shift problems

Hi... I'm new here... In 1958, I learned to drive a standard shift on a 1947 Studebaker pickup. And have had numerous "stick" shifts since then. Even put one in my 55 DeSoto... I fell in love with the feel of a Mustang in 1967. Could only afford used automatic Stangs in the past, but I finally bought a brand new one this year. Insisting on a standard shift took about 3 months to get one and in that time, they quit making the 2013s that I had ordered and I ended up (with no complaints) with a 2014 V6 Convertible. I love it... but I cannot shift the darn thing. It's hit and miss shifting as I can't feel the the 3 slots for the 6 gears (too many as far as I'm concerned) and as I must back out into a 4-lane highway and try to find first fast, I'm gonna get killed. I go into 3rd more than 1st, even pulling hard. Have to go fishing for the right gear on the highway, and have stalled this car more in 2 months than all other standards combined in the past 50 years. The dealer just told me I have to get used to it... obviously he wasn't stalled in front of a school bus that had to wait for a brand new Mustang to find a gear he could move in... Anyone else have similar problems? Any ideas? THANX!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Yeah the stock manual shifter sucks in the new mustangs. If you switch the shifter out for an MGW shifter that pain will go away. The new mustangs don't like it rough in the shifter if you know what I mean. You have to be gentle with it even when shifting fast. Or yeah just put in the MGW shifter will work like a charm then. Common issue with these transmissions.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:26 PM
gus_vb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CJinCNJ
Hi... I'm new here... In 1958, I learned to drive a standard shift on a 1947 Studebaker pickup. And have had numerous "stick" shifts since then. Even put one in my 55 DeSoto... I fell in love with the feel of a Mustang in 1967. Could only afford used automatic Stangs in the past, but I finally bought a brand new one this year. Insisting on a standard shift took about 3 months to get one and in that time, they quit making the 2013s that I had ordered and I ended up (with no complaints) with a 2014 V6 Convertible. I love it... but I cannot shift the darn thing. It's hit and miss shifting as I can't feel the the 3 slots for the 6 gears (too many as far as I'm concerned) and as I must back out into a 4-lane highway and try to find first fast, I'm gonna get killed. I go into 3rd more than 1st, even pulling hard. Have to go fishing for the right gear on the highway, and have stalled this car more in 2 months than all other standards combined in the past 50 years. The dealer just told me I have to get used to it... obviously he wasn't stalled in front of a school bus that had to wait for a brand new Mustang to find a gear he could move in... Anyone else have similar problems? Any ideas? THANX!
Just try to be smooth with the stick, and try to get some muscle memory on the stick position for every gear. In a 4 lane highway I don't see how you need to go 1st, 3rd is a perfect gear, when I am in a highway I never go lower than 3rd (unless there is bumper to bumper traffic). 3rd and 4th are easy because you don't gotta pull or push the stick sideways, you just gotta move it forwards or backwards.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:48 PM
WhiteHorse3.7

If I'm honest I haven't had too much trouble with the stock shifter in my '12 V6. I have driven my dad's various 1-ton pickups with manuals, but this stang is really the only manual I've driven enough to be comfortable (I'm nearing 25k miles since I bought it new). My only complaints are related to somewhat weak syncros; if you're not completely stopped, you need to double-clutch to downshift to first, and sometimes the 1-2 shift is rough if you don't get it right. Other than those issues (that I've easily learned to live with), I can't say I have any complaints.

One thing I could tell you to pay attention to is the spring detent for 1st and 2nd. Our shifters have a slick reverse lockout design IMHO, so you can shift aggressively to the left side of the gate without fear of grabbing reverse. Let the springs tell you the difference between 1st and 3rd and 5th, and go sideways before going up or down.

Hope this helps a little...
Old 06-14-2013, 10:06 AM
CJinCNJ

Gentlemen, Thank you very much! At least I don't feel like such an idiot now. I'll try anything and hopefully everything you suggest. Just one note Whitehorse, I agree with using the upper gears on the highways (and here in Jersey we use them a lot). It's usually from 4th to 5th or 6th to 5th that I end up hearing the engine scream on the highway because I ended up in 3rd!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:18 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Done that many times in 5th and I hit 3rd and I am just like wtf how did I get to 3rd. The main issue lies in the metal plate on the shifter. It's made from some really thin sheet metal and when the engines under torque it moves around. Which in result makes shifting rather anoying.

If it keeps on being a pain the MGW shifter is made from some high end steel they do not use aluminum parts in their shifters.
http://www.mgwltd.com/
http://www.mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter.shtml
Old 06-15-2013, 05:02 PM
gus_vb
1st Gear Member

Gentlemen, Thank you very much! At least I don't feel like such an idiot now. I'll try anything and hopefully everything you suggest. Just one note Whitehorse, I agree with using the upper gears on the highways (and here in Jersey we use them a lot). It's usually from 4th to 5th or 6th to 5th that I end up hearing the engine scream on the highway because I ended up in 3rd!
I don't like the 4th to 5th shift either, I just try to do it slowly to not mess it up.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:12 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

MGM is popular, I'd like to try one but I'm not that popular so I had to do with a Barton with a lower bracket. Two fingers back to 2nd, palm up to 3rd, two fingers 4th - done. The lower bracket is much stronger. The stock is a thin band of metal around a spongey square with a hole in it which allows you to miss 2-3 all day. Even if you don't drag it's worth the up-grade. Just make sure it's an up-grade, best new ones have two bottom brackets, more cost.

If I could only do three mods to my 2013 GT/CS, 1) Barton shifter with bottom bracket ($400), 2) 255 front, 275 rear Nitto Evos with Laguna Seca 19" charcoal rims ($2,200 AM) and Ford Racing Axil Back Sports ($700). No warranty loss.

Later

Last edited by VistaBlueFrank68; 06-15-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:50 PM
CJinCNJ

Ah, Gus! That's the rub! There may be times when you don't have the luxury of time "to do it slowly."As I mentioned in my first note, it was back in 67 when I fell in love with how a Stang handled... I was in the back roads of SW PA and suddenly there was a 90-degree left bend in the road. I swung the wheel, dropped from 3 to 2 and popped the clutch. The back end swung around so beautifully that my buddy (whose car it was) and his girlfriend in the back seat never missed a beat. Heaven help anyone caught in a predicament with a new 6-speed!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:07 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Ah, Gus! That's the rub! There may be times when you don't have the luxury of time "to do it slowly."As I mentioned in my first note, it was back in 67 when I fell in love with how a Stang handled... I was in the back roads of SW PA and suddenly there was a 90-degree left bend in the road. I swung the wheel, dropped from 3 to 2 and popped the clutch. The back end swung around so beautifully that my buddy (whose car it was) and his girlfriend in the back seat never missed a beat. Heaven help anyone caught in a predicament with a new 6-speed!
Would have to disagree on that one, the new Mustangs have far better handing than the old stangs. Even the V6 handles really good does not corner like the GT can but its not bad. My Mach1 would just go over a cliff like a brick....

Quick Reply: 2014 shift problems