V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Need Convertible Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:25 PM
diplomat 1

Default Need Convertible Help

Hello everyone im looking into getting a new top on my 2001 mustang because the old one the lining started to rip around the rear window and it leaks alot of water into the car when it rains. I managed to take out the back seat and a bunch of other stuff to pretty much take out the convertible. My question is if the window part is the only part bad do i have to change the whole top? Also if i do where is the best priced convertible top that is reliable and you guys have had good experience with? Also i noticed the driver side hydraulic cylinder piston for the convertible is leaking so i wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on where to get that? Is it interchangeable from left to right? How hard is it to take off and put on the convertible top too? I see labor for it is like 700 and i rather save that money. Anyone got good step by step instructions on how to do it along with what tools i will need exactly? I know im asking alot i appreciate all help. Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 12:05 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Honest to god I would never encourage anyone to replace their own top. I had the same attitude with mine when my back window broke, figured I'd save a lot of money, all said and done I would have gladly paid up to a grand to have a professional do it. And the main top at least has to be partially removed to get the window piece out.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:42 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

If you have never done them and don't do them for a living I would not do it. It's a lot of work in fact an insane amount of work. Take it to a convertible shop it will save you money at the end of the day. Replacing tops can go anywhere from 1,500 to 2,500. Prices may vary depending on location and top condition.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Highest prices I ever saw was 1200. But yeah. I replaced mine myself. Will NOT be doing that ever again. My 94 needs a new top, I'm waiting till someone wrecks a vert and parts it out to find a decent top. Just gonna swap frame rails and all.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:34 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Also unless you have a garage or carport to work in/under. Don't attempt it yourself. You will not finish in a day. Took me 3 days
Old 06-18-2013, 04:02 PM
diplomat 1

Ok so if Its leaking just from the window part I need to replace just that part? Everytinf else with the top is fine. Any company's u guys recommend buying from? Also I need a cylinder hydraulic any company's to buy from or anyone got any here for sale? Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 04:05 PM
diplomat 1

I'm also thinkin on taking the top off to save on labor do u think that would matter?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:18 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

DO NOT take the top off if you are just replacing the window. You will never get it lined back up right. If you insist on doing it yourself good luck. I will ask you this though. Have to ever performed a rebuild or motor swap? Those are easier to put this into perspective.

From what I remember the hydraulic arms are the same from side to side.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:24 PM
darcane

I recently did this on my '01:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1...it-myself.html

It's not a simple task, but doable if you are handy. I linked to some instructions on ehow that are adequate, but could use a little more fleshing out. They also ignore replacing the rear window which is of particular interest to you.

If you have a decent selection of tools already, the main thing you will need is a stapler and various length staples. I got one from Harbor Freight that did just fine for about $20.

You can do the rear window without doing the main top, but I'd do both if it is the original top since you will have the main piece 80% removed anyways.

I bought an "EZ-On" top through Amazon.com. Quality seemed a little better than the OEM top I removed. If I had a black top, I would have gotten a kit from http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/ (Site sponsor) that comes with both parts of the top and new pads, but they didn't have the kit in "Parchment" and the cost is higher as separate pieces.

One of the more time consuming parts of the job is pulling staples. I would guess removing the top yourself and having a shop install would save you some cash. Although I could see a shop wanting to see and mark where the old top was installed. Be sure to keep fasteners organized (I like Ziploc freezer bags that you can write on) to make it easier to reinstall.

Good luck, whichever route you take.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:25 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
Highest prices I ever saw was 1200. But yeah. I replaced mine myself. Will NOT be doing that ever again. My 94 needs a new top, I'm waiting till someone wrecks a vert and parts it out to find a decent top. Just gonna swap frame rails and all.
how hard is it to swap the whole top? got to do the 99 and still not sure what the f*** im doing with the car yet

Quick Reply: Need Convertible Help