Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Scared: MT-82 Trannies

Old 06-20-2013, 12:52 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Default Scared: MT-82 Trannies

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've been in here, and I'm out of date a bit. I no longer have my '07, and am in the market for a newer model.

I am REALLY interested in a 2011-12 GT, however I have seen many owners, around the web, have had some issues with the MT-82 transmissions. I even heard that the NHTSA was involved.

Is this an issue I should be concerned about with the 5.0's?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by seniorsmith
Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've been in here, and I'm out of date a bit. I no longer have my '07, and am in the market for a newer model.

I am REALLY interested in a 2011-12 GT, however I have seen many owners, around the web, have had some issues with the MT-82 transmissions. I even heard that the NHTSA was involved.

Is this an issue I should be concerned about with the 5.0's?

Thanks in advance.
I think its good that you are aware of the issues. I think most of the problems were with the MT-82 in the 2011's. There was a fix to change the trans fluid to a different grade and most issues went away. This was a dealer and Ford factory fix, so as long as you buy from a reputable dealer it should have the new spec fluid in the trans. There is a TSB somewhere around that maybe someone could send you a link to.

I have a 2012 GT w/ MT-82 and I have personally had no issues. It is finnicky, and hates the cold weather. It performs much differently than the Tremec, but that's not to mean that it isn't capable. Its just different. The two things that I have done, and they help BIG TIME is change to a SR short-throw shifter and change the shifter bracket. Ever since i made these 2 changes it has been amazing to drive. The bracket alone was enough, but with the shifter it is now perfect.

If you're worried about the issues then stick to the '12 GT with MT-82, or maybe even look at a '13 if it will fit in your budget. Good luck searching!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

These cars have a 5 year 60k mile powertrain warranty so if theres any issues, just get it fixed. I have beat mine for over 15k miles and the car has over 30k miles now and no tranny issues.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
These cars have a 5 year 60k mile powertrain warranty so if theres any issues, just get it fixed. I have beat mine for over 15k miles and the car has over 30k miles now and no tranny issues.
Right. My concern was that (1) NHSTA was involved because for a few of those who had issues, they were pulling out into traffic and the couldn't get the car into 2nd gear which was causing accidents. And (2), I've heard that people have had to return to the dealerships over and over again, and it was becoming a nightmare to get the issue fixed.

It did seem that for those who had issues, it happened early on (right around 5k miles or less). I'll be looking at cars with more than that on the clock, so hopefully if there were in the issues they've been taken care of.

I'll definitely consider making the mods that are being (ST shifter, etc.) suggested once I do get into one.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:07 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

My mt-82 is holding up fine and that's with 670 crank hp running through it ...if you have to have a manual trans you have no choice. Automatic cars are available, i saw 2012 gt automatic for sale on car gurus for $21,400 a great price. It only had 16k miles on it.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:07 PM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dominant1
My mt-82 is holding up fine and that's with 670 crank hp running through it ...if you have to have a manual trans you have no choice. Automatic cars are available, i saw 2012 gt automatic for sale on car gurus for $21,400 a great price. It only had 16k miles on it.
Well that's definitely comforting to know. Yeah, $21k for that low of miles is a great deal. But, for me, it's manual or nothing. I don't bag on people who go with an AT, however for me, half the fun is bangin' through the gears, downshifting to hear that exhaust, etc...
Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

34,000 miles.. mostly traffic... and no issues here. Don't be scared.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 PM
miner999r
1st Gear Member

2013 GT pretty new. This thing just teaches you how to shift with accuracy and finesse. If you grab the shifter like an axe handle and try to ram it into gear it really won't like it. I just use finger tips to pull push between 1st and 2nd (the toughest shift for me), a finger tip push from 2nd to 3rd (easy as pie), a straight finger flick back from 3rd to 4th again easy, a push and gentle shove to go from 4th to 5th and a pull and push from 5th to 6th. Try to do it with your hand resting on the console. Try for accuracy. Anyhow this is what works best for me.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 AM
TRMach

I bang the gears in this car on a daily basis and it is just fine.

Mine has almost 13k on it.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:34 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by miner999r
2013 GT pretty new. This thing just teaches you how to shift with accuracy and finesse. If you grab the shifter like an axe handle and try to ram it into gear it really won't like it. I just use finger tips to pull push between 1st and 2nd (the toughest shift for me), a finger tip push from 2nd to 3rd (easy as pie), a straight finger flick back from 3rd to 4th again easy, a push and gentle shove to go from 4th to 5th and a pull and push from 5th to 6th. Try to do it with your hand resting on the console. Try for accuracy. Anyhow this is what works best for me.

+1.

You slide this thing into gear.. you do not grip with torque and push. Even when "banging" through gears, I'm holding the shifter with about the same firmness I would hold an egg. My hand is more cupped around the *** than grabbing it. You lean on this shifter even slightly and it makes noise (try pushing it to the side a little while in gear... and you will hear what I'm talking about).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scared: MT-82 Trannies